Power supply AC input Cut off voltage?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
The UPS inverter circuit will maintain a clean non distorted AC waveform at 120vac with an lower AC input or low battery DC input.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If the switching point is designed to be close to 115 volts, why do the UPS devices keep working with no battery when the AC power line is as low as 90 volts?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
If the switching point is designed to be close to 115 volts, why do the UPS devices keep working with no battery when the AC power line is as low as 90 volts?
The inverter has buckboosting or amplification. It's job is to maintain a clean non distorted AC waveform at 120VAC

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Do they all have the same amount of ripple voltage on their capacitors when you adjust the input voltage down to 90 volts AC?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Do they all have the same amount of ripple voltage on their capacitors when you adjust the input voltage down to 90 volts AC?
I'm not sure, but i know the inverter converts AC 115vac with whatever ripple percentage into DC and then back into a clean non distorted AC 120vac sinewaveform with No ripple

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I tire of this game. Why don't you post a new thread with 15 questions at once, all about circuits without any schematics, brand names, model numbers, or even type of equipment they are in?
Oh...you already did.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Correct, the formula needs to be changed to be able to calculate for Improper operating conditions like if the AC line voltage goes under to 80VAC , what is the ripple and how do I calculate it?
You can't determine at what input voltage the ripple will appear at the output of the supply without knowing the design of the supply.

The point you are missing is that the ripple will appear at the output when the input ripple minimum voltage goes below the minimum operating voltage of the regulator. That can only be determined by examining the specific supply design.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
The point you are missing is that the ripple will appear at the output when the input ripple minimum voltage goes below the minimum operating voltage of the regulator.
So the regulator sets the % percentage of ripple or range of the ripple?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
So just to be clear. Regulators don't' do anything to the ripple voltage or percentage of ripple? or does regulator clean up the ripple noise or reduce the ripple? change the ripples ratio or percentage

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Regulators don't do anything to the ripple on their input capacitors. They perform in spite of the ripple.
@crutschow He's been told 30 or 40 times that, "it depends on the circuit" but he will not name a circuit because he wants Universal Truths about All Circuits Everywhere.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So just to be clear. Regulators don't' do anything to the ripple voltage or percentage of ripple? or does regulator clean up the ripple noise or reduce the ripple? change the ripples ratio or percentage
No, that's not we said either (I hope you're not as dense as you appear). :rolleyes:
A regulator, depending upon its design will normally reduce the ripple from the input rectifier filter (and here's where I shout) if it's operating within its design limits.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
but what if is not within it's design limits? What happens then?

At this point the original thread starter is invited to perform an experiment and FIND OUT for himself what happens. The only we will know the answer is if he comes back here and posts up the results of his experiment.