Power strip and Laptop

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by odm4286, Jul 29, 2014.

1. odm4286

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Just noticed something strange. Lately my laptop has been running slow as hell, I knew for a fact it wasn't a software issue so I started to try other things. I decided to try and plug it into the wall instead of the power strip and out of no where I gained about 20% in speed.

I know that laptops lower performance to save battery when they aren't connected to an AC source, but my question is could my power strip lower the voltage available to the AC adapter so much that it was affecting my laptop?

2. timwhite

Apr 10, 2014
    I don't think so, but it's hard to be sure. Here is a link to a good list of steps to take to verify that your power supply is not faulty or supplying improper voltages.

Also it might be a good idea to use a can of compressed air to clean out the fan ports on your laptop. Dust can raise the temperature of your hardware which in turn can put a real damper on your speeds.

3. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Be cautious when using cans of compressed air to blow out fan ports on a laptop. Some can be damaged by the voltage generated when the fan rotates in the air stream .

Keep the fan blades from rotating or disconnect the fan from the motherboard.

timwhite likes this.
  4. odm4286

Sep 20, 2009
    Thanks for the tips guys, went out and bought a new power strip and the problem is gone. Weird....

Got curious and took my old power strip apart and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, salvaged the power cord and the on off switch so I guess I got something out of it.

5. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Probably the sockets are worn out. Usually just bent tangs of Phosphor-Bronze or plated steel. They oxidize, get hot, lose their temper and dont grab the plug pins like they should...

6. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Did you do a double test? Installing the old one again.

I'd be very surprised to see a difference. Unless you are using some type of "Home Plug" system.

7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    +1

A power strip would not (should not) affect the power demand of a laptop, except perhaps your power strip was dead and your laptop was running on batteries.

inwo likes this.
  8. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    +1

But rebooting might.:eek:

9. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    +2

True. Every few days I have to reboot my PC and then it picks up speed again.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I thought everybody knew that Windows systems save up things to do during rebooting. I shut mine off every night just so the, "housekeeping" chores don't pile up.

11. AlphaDesign888

Jul 27, 2014
    All in your head mate.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Alpha: With whom are you disagreeing?

13. odm4286

Sep 20, 2009
    weird, I'm having the same problem again. I swear this thing speeds right up as soon as I plug it into the wall. Its not the computer either, I'm sure of it.

14. odm4286

Sep 20, 2009
    ah I feel dumb, just noticed the charger itself is failing. When I move it, it goes on an off. Thanks guys, it wasn't the power strip after all.

15. timwhite

Apr 10, 2014
    Being plugged into AC vs Battery should not change the operating speed of your computer. If you are using Windows, check the bottom right corner of your screen for your power settings, and see if your "On Battery" profile has speed set low, like CPU speed, hard drive speed, etc... If you are in "Power Saving" mode, your computer will surely run slower than if when it is plugged and using "Extreme Computing Hyper Awesome" mode. See image below.

[​IMG]