power measuring using microcontrollers

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by gobi615, Dec 23, 2011.

1. gobi615

Thread Starter Member

Jul 26, 2011
    hi . i am doing a project in that line voltage, current and power want to measure using microcontroller(pic) for home(phase voltage 220V , 5A) . by using transformer is it possible to measure the voltage? or any ADC available to measure the voltage.. please help with this.

2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Just measure the voltage? That is fairly easy. First you are going to have to step the voltage down and convert it to dc so the mcu can read it. That is the harder part.

Reading the voltage with the mcu is fairly easy. First you need to choose one. What have you chosen?

3. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Measuring current and voltage separately or (rectified) will not give you any information about the apparent power. In order to obtain true detailed information you may need to take other parameters like crest factor, harmonic distortion and phase angle between current and voltage into consideration. I don't know if this is important for your project.

Have a look HERE and HERE.

4. @android

Dec 15, 2011
    Whats harder in stepping down the voltage & rectifying it?

5. cheezewizz

Apr 16, 2009
    probably just the fact that messing up the ADC code can't kill you.

6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
  7. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Look at the thread. This is a one post wonder. The OP has not responded since the original message. I would not waste my time.