Power Management System

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by adikai, Oct 21, 2012.

1. adikai

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Hi ,

I am new to this forums , so HI to all . I am a software developer and just started my journey in electronics side . :) I had this particular idea which I want to do for my project .

IDEA : Problem statement : In my college every room has fans and light which is powered with normal switches. People when leaving the class don't switch off the fans and lights when leaving the classroom

Solution : I wanted to develop a software which will recognize when the classroom is empty and will switch off the lights as soon as no one is there .

It will have three components :

1. Sensor : This will detect that there are no people in the room and send a signal to the system

2. Software system : Which is responsible for taking in INPUT from the sensor do the processing and send either signal ON/OFF command in some form to the electrical main

3. Main Circuit : This circuit should understand the software command and convert it to signal of some form which makes circuit switch off and switch on

MY PROBLEM :

I am not able to figure out two things .

1. What circuit should I use which can understand a software command and convert to signal ?

2. How can this circuit switch off the power?

I will be greatfull , If somebody can guide if not give proper solution :)

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    "Normal" switches can be replaced with smart switches, which have motion detectors built into them. Walk in, the lights come on and stay on for a delayed time. If you stay still enough long enough - beyond the delay - the lights will go out on you.

3. Mustafatarhan49

Aug 16, 2012
    Have you ever googled PIR sensors? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_infrared_sensor
    It just detects if there is a movement or not than It switch on &off the light.
    http://www.ladyada.net/learn/sensors/pir.html check also this website