power led drivers circuits?

gimon_1982

Joined Aug 20, 2009
can i ask you a questions?
how can be produced small size power supply? i need small size power led driver circuit as DX-04350V and DX-MU38-5 like these models in link which is given below.

http://www.diox.com.tr/led_suruculeri_01.asp

if anyone helps me so i will be so glad.
Anyone has circuit diagrams for like these product?
i need 230 Vac input, 350ma constant current small size power led driver.I know there are many led driver ICs but how can be make like DX-04350V and DX-MU38-5 products.?They are small size and they can connect to electric network directly.
Thanks for your kindness.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't read ?Turkish?, and the english side is under construction. If you take the time to think it out homebrewed power drivers are easy, and you can get power supplies pretty cheap.

Define the job. How many LEDs? Color? Special effects? And work from there.

Have you read this?

LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers

gimon_1982

Joined Aug 20, 2009
Just one white power led. it can be so cheap but i want to know what kind of circuits they use. my led properties: 350ma ,3-4 Voltage rate, and 1 watt white power led. how can be make small size power supply as i gave in my links. i think they dont use transformers.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello jj,

A LM317 as current source will have a very low efficiency.
The switched LM3407 will have a much better rendement.

Greetings,
Bertus

gimon_1982

Joined Aug 20, 2009
i understood all of your answers but i want to connect 230 Vac to input.and i will use this product for lighting so it will work long time.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

There are not many driver IC's for 230 VAC.
The ones I found are for high power like street lights.( > 25 Watts).

Greetings,
Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Think wall wart, and go from there. It's safer in the long run.

How many of these are you planning on making?

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
A LM317 as current source will have a very low efficiency.
The switched LM3407 will have a much better rendement.
Bertus you are perfectly right. I just suggested an alternative as a last option in case he couldn't find the chip you suggested.

This same topic has come on this forum in the last few weeks. Everone suggested him to get a cell phone smps charger or a wallwart as Bill suggested. It is the most cheap, efficient and worthy solution.

gimon_1982

Joined Aug 20, 2009
may be 100 may be 500 . is there any wall wart circuit s shematics? high AC voltage input, 3V-6V output voltage, 300-350ma output current. output power must be 1 Watt or 2 watt. and i want to learn how driver producer firms make small size power led driver circuits?

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Why don't you try getting a simple cell phone charger? Then if it works well for you, you can buy more or try building one yourself. Chinese people make cheap drivers for ordinary LED's using a capacitor in series. But you can't do that with 1 W led's.

gimon_1982

Joined Aug 20, 2009
Is there any constant current cell phone power supply circuits. i mean current feedback . anyone has like these cell phone power supply? small size and can give between 250-320 ma current, between 3-6 Volt output voltage. do you know any information about power leds?i know that their resistance change by time so i need constant current feedbacl power supply.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you have a constant voltage power supply a simple resistor would suffice. But first you must have a power supply, be it a wall wart or phone charger (which is much the same thing). After you have a good source of power the rest is easy. Really easy.

gimon_1982

Joined Aug 20, 2009
ok i understood you. But why people produce led driver circuits? Led driver circuits have high price about 5-6 dollars for 1.4 watt power led driver. i cant understand that if it was so easy why people buy special led driver circuits? i cant solve this:).

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Because the majority of people don't do it yourself. Electronics intimidates a lot of people, and most just want to get it done. A few, like most on this site, want to understand electronics. It is one of those cases where understanding can save money, but most folks have better things to do.

gimon_1982

Joined Aug 20, 2009
But there s a magic point that power leds have dinamical resistance. it means if they heat much so their resistance rise.i think constant voltaged power supply cant be usefull for power led project. power supply must have current feedback.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
A 1 watt LED is no different than an ordinary LED except for the fact that it consumes more power and produces more light. The structure and basics are the same. 90% of the 20mA LED's on this planet run on power supplies which can produce atleast 300mA current and their current limited using resistors. If you have a powersupply, you can do it the easy way. The more closer the power supply is to the LED's forward voltage (Vf), the more efficient your circuit will be so it doesn't need to waste energy as heat either on regulators or resistors. But the supply must not be less than Vf of the LED.
LED drivers are for people who desn't care how the world rotates, just it does thats it.