Power/Ground Switching

Kalcorp

Joined Aug 15, 2014
I am looking to build a circuit that will allow me to switch the power and ground at any time. Meaning I need to design something that can switch its positive and negative output at any time. i.e. if I have a fan hooked up with positive and negative and the fan spins clockwise, I need to design something that can switch the positive and negative at will and then the fan would spin counter-clockwise (for example). Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!! :D

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The fan was just an example fellas, to better illustrate what needs to be taking place
Do you want manual switching as suggested? There are other ways to accomplish the switching electronically. Whatever you choose, be sure the switch is rated for the load you are switching.

Kalcorp

Joined Aug 15, 2014
Do you want manual switching as suggested? There are other ways to accomplish the switching electronically. Whatever you choose, be sure the switch is rated for the load you are switching.
What ways are there to do this electronically?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There are too many to list, without some detail about your specifications.
I've used a 4017 counter IC to get reversing polarity. You put the load between two of the outputs, such as the "0" and the "1". Both are never on at the same time, and are pulled to ground when off. So current goes one way on "0" and reverses on "1", and then you can reset on "2" if you like. This will handle only a few mA. A 555 timer can handle up to ~200mA. Beyond that you need an H-bridge.