Power Factor Correction.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Vasanthkini, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Vasanthkini

Thread Starter Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Can some one theoretically explain how is power factor correction done?Most of the on line documents end up defining what power factor is which i am well aware of,but then how do we correct it or shall i say obtain a better power factor close to 1(one).

Thanks!:)

2. timrobbins

Aug 29, 2009
    Improving PF of a load means either (a) introducing leading or lagging VARs (ie. inductive or capacitive net reactance), or (b) introducing harmonics to counteract the harmonics generated by a non-linear load.

Do you have an application/problem?

Ciao, Tim

3. Vasanthkini

Thread Starter Member

Jun 9, 2010
    @Tim

Hey Thanks for you time.Let me see if i have got it right.We use leading or lagging networks depending on whether the voltage or current is leading right?If i have got it right,how do we implement it?let me be more precise,how will i theoretically calculate the leading o lagging network components?

And yes,i am basically working in Research and development in power supply.Getting the power supply work is one issue but understanding the concepts very well is what i believe in and hence the question.

THANKS!

4. timrobbins

Aug 29, 2009
    If you have X VAR leading, and you add X VAR lagging then you end up with VAR = 0, as seen from the power source. The only load remaining is purely resistive (W=VA), and this gives PF=1 for a linear load (no harmonics).

Ciao, Tim

5. dsp_redux

Apr 11, 2009
    For example, if you have a room full of motors, the load will be pretty inductive, so the current might be lagging vs the current (I hope that's the term you use in english). Hence, S=P-jQ where S is in VA, P in Watts and Q in VAR. See the negative sign on Q. What you want is introduce a capacitive load in parallel to your circuit so you compensate the lagging effect (+jQ). If you can get up to Qcap = Qindu, then your circuit becomes purely resistive and the PF = 1.

6. Vasanthkini

Thread Starter Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Wonderful !

The above explanations where good enough for me to understand! Between,how do we differentiate the load as linear and non linear?

Thanks !

7. dsp_redux

Apr 11, 2009
    If you look at the graph (V vs I) of a linear load, you'll see Z will vary linearly (for exemple, a simple resistor). That's not the case for diodes for instance since V vs I will vary following the diode equation I=I_S (e^{\frac{V_D}{n V_T}} -1) where I_S is the saturation current, V_D the voltage accross the diode, n is the emission coefficient (=1 the majority of the time) and V_T the thermal voltage (about 26mV at room temperature).

Vasanthkini likes this.
  8. timrobbins

Aug 29, 2009
    Thanx DSP.

The best example of a consumer non-linear load is the generic switchmode power supply, which draws a current from the mains that is not a pure sinusoid. It's only more expensive larger powered switchmodes for industrial applications, or for more expensive computor power supplies, that deploy special input circuitry that electronically achieve a sinusoidal input current waveform, and hence achieve PF=1.

Flourescent electronic lighting ballasts are almost entirely not PF=1, which is a growing problem.

Ciao, Tim

Vasanthkini likes this.
  9. Vasanthkini

Thread Starter Member

Jun 9, 2010
    The explanations were just too good for anyone not to understand.Thanks a ton guys ! These informations were handy enough !

Thanks! :)