Power factor correction

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Prabinadk, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Prabinadk

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Hello.Can anyone suggest me the type of capacitor I should use for my powrr factor correction project?What must be the specs?

2. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Can you show us a schematic diagram of your PFC correction circuit?

Voltage, frequency, and power level are important considerations.

3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Also the reactive nature of the load (its power factor) that you are trying to correct.

4. Prabinadk

Jun 24, 2016
    The power factor correction is not for a specific load it is rather for a varying load... i am working on the diagram

5. Prabinadk

Jun 24, 2016
    It is fot 220 V 50hz ac

6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    A universal power factor correction circuit is kind of a pipe dream. No single capacitor will do the job. In fact a capacitor might actually make things worse. We don't ask for information for the fun of it. Sometimes it is essential to the solution of the problem. Realistic solutions require realistic problems.

7. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Why do you think you need PF correction to begin with? o_O

8. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Depends on what kind of waveform distortion you're trying to correct.

If its just an inductive load - you need to run the vector equations to find the capacitance that shifts current back in phase.

SMPSU rectifier/reservoir distortion is current blips at the crest of each half-cycle.

Most people use a flyback boost front end between the rectifier and reservoir - but I've seen a few ATX PSUs that just have a big fat choke in series with the mains in.

9. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
  10. MrAl

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi,

You have to be more specific about what you are trying to do.
    It sounds like you want to correct for an inductive load, and in that case an added capacitor would probably be the solution, but it would be good to know exactly what you are trying to do.

In the case of perfect correction, the capacitive reactance is chosen to exactly counteract the inductive reactance. Knowing the inductance would be necessary, as well as the frequency.

11. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
    It used to be Oil Filled capacitors. Maybe there are better ones now.

12. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Just won a sack of capacitors on Freegle.

There's a 16uF/600V unit - ideal for a use that isn't permitted on this forum. A couple of 4uF/1200V and 3x 8uF/2.5kV.

I predict some pretty dangerous mischief in the not too distant future........................