Power factor correction

Prabinadk

Joined Jun 24, 2016
Hello.Can anyone suggest me the type of capacitor I should use for my powrr factor correction project?What must be the specs?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Can you show us a schematic diagram of your PFC correction circuit?

Voltage, frequency, and power level are important considerations.

Prabinadk

Joined Jun 24, 2016
The power factor correction is not for a specific load it is rather for a varying load... i am working on the diagram

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The power factor correction is not for a specific load it is rather for a varying load... i am working on the diagram
A universal power factor correction circuit is kind of a pipe dream. No single capacitor will do the job. In fact a capacitor might actually make things worse. We don't ask for information for the fun of it. Sometimes it is essential to the solution of the problem. Realistic solutions require realistic problems.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello.Can anyone suggest me the type of capacitor I should use for my powrr factor correction project?What must be the specs?
Depends on what kind of waveform distortion you're trying to correct.

If its just an inductive load - you need to run the vector equations to find the capacitance that shifts current back in phase.

SMPSU rectifier/reservoir distortion is current blips at the crest of each half-cycle.

Most people use a flyback boost front end between the rectifier and reservoir - but I've seen a few ATX PSUs that just have a big fat choke in series with the mains in.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

You have to be more specific about what you are trying to do.
It sounds like you want to correct for an inductive load, and in that case an added capacitor would probably be the solution, but it would be good to know exactly what you are trying to do.

In the case of perfect correction, the capacitive reactance is chosen to exactly counteract the inductive reactance. Knowing the inductance would be necessary, as well as the frequency.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
It used to be Oil Filled capacitors. Maybe there are better ones now.
Just won a sack of capacitors on Freegle.

There's a 16uF/600V unit - ideal for a use that isn't permitted on this forum. A couple of 4uF/1200V and 3x 8uF/2.5kV.

I predict some pretty dangerous mischief in the not too distant future........................