Power / Energy Meter

Peytonator

Joined Jun 30, 2008
Hi there,

I'm wanting to build a power / energy meter that can calculate RMS voltages and currents + real, reactive & apparent power, energy, power factor, etc..

I have scaled voltage and current signals coming into a 8 bit PIC micro. Obviously these are instantaneous values, which can be multiplied digitally to get P(t). Now, how do I integrate this digitally (using C... and limited memory!), to get energy? And also, how do I get RMS values and the power factor?

Many thanks :)

Peytonator

Joined Jun 30, 2008
Should I hard code numerical methods for integration and summation to get energy and RMS values? Is there not some quick way?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Sounds like you have more project wants than you have ability to make. Start off smaller, like say, just a watt/hour meter to begin with. Once you understand and master that, it will be easier to add to it. Something this complicated, which you don't seem to grasp even the fundamental math of, will frustrate you and probably cause you to give up.

It's a common fault of all of us. Biting off more than we can chew.

small steps, begin with a basic design and master that, then move onward and upward, building on the success of each SMALL step.

Peytonator

Joined Jun 30, 2008
I wish I could simplify it but I've got no options - it has to have all the functionality due to design specs given by my university. Could you perhaps guide me to the right resources .. I can't find much on google. Thanks again :)