Power control ... ?!

odintheterrible

Joined Jun 16, 2010
Greetings one and all,

Up until recently I had a largish workshop vacuum that I used in a dust collection circuit in my home workshop.
In essence it had a 13amp power socket in the lid into which you plugged, say, a table saw (or whatever) then when the power tool was switched on, it would automatically start up the vacuum to draw the sawdust from the unit into the collection bin.
Alas, the vacuum finally expired after many years excellent service and I can't find a suitable replacement with this sort of controlled power take-off.
So, do any of you knowledgeable guys n gals have any idea if it's possible to build a suitable stand-alone circuit that will fulfill this function ???
I've looked long and hard and can't find any references to a suitable circuit which can be built relatively cheaply :-(
Many thanks in advance.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Just need a relay with a coil/contact rating suitable for the voltage. (I'll assume 120VAC)

Or just plug both into a suitable power strip.. switch on the power strip and voila.. any device plugged into it will turn on

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
If you have a local HVAC guy, get a humidifier current relay and a fan center.

The fan center is a 24V transformer/ relay combination that should handle the dust collector current. The current relay has a few heavy turns that will sense tool power and pull relay in.

Did original have delay built in?

Here is a solid state version.

Or one of these. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2080165/28298/ivac-automated-shop-vacuum-switch.aspx

Attachments

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007

odintheterrible

Joined Jun 16, 2010
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply ... but it's 230VAC ... I forgot to mention that I'm U.K. based

Just need a relay with a coil/contact rating suitable for the voltage. (I'll assume 120VAC)

Or just plug both into a suitable power strip.. switch on the power strip and voila.. any device plugged into it will turn on

odintheterrible

Joined Jun 16, 2010
Many thanks for sharing this valuable info .... but as I'm U.K. based with a 230VAC supply, would it be possible to modify it to get it to work on UK mains voltage ??? ... and if so, how would I achieve this ??
Thanks

Funny, I posted a circuit on this forum to do this:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=58447&postcount=6
Six moths later this one appeared on the market:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080165/28298/iVAC-Automated-Shop-Vacuum-Switch.aspx
Up to that time many offered remote starts/stop, but none had delay-start and delay-shutdown of the shop vac. Don't think it was a simultaneous invention. ;)

Ken

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Many thanks for sharing this valuable info .... but as I'm U.K. based with a 230VAC supply, would it be possible to modify it to get it to work on UK mains voltage ??? ... and if so, how would I achieve this ??
Thanks
Sure. Just select T1 in the sensor circuit that is 230vac 50Hz primary and 18VAC/ct secondary. Secondary current requirements are very low...maybe >100mA. The 12VDC in the timer circuit was a gutted wall wart. You could probably do the same for the sensor circuit. I like gutting wall warts for low voltage power supplies to put inside line-voltage devices. The connection between the two circuits is a 2-wire cable running across the shop with 1/8" phone plugs on each end. For the timer circuit you would need to select an SSR that is rated for 230VAC inductive load.

It's been running daily for quite a few years on two different saws. First a Delta contractor saw, and now on a Saw-Stop

Ken

Now, I'd probably do the sense and timer with a 08M2 PICAXE microcontroller.

Last edited:

odintheterrible

Joined Jun 16, 2010
Greetings,

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to respond in such a helpful manner ... it's a dying quality alas these days.

I'm not a continuous dabbler and experimenter, more an as needs be sort of doer so I'm not terribly of the moment , so to speak, when it comes to stuff like this but I'll give the schematics a good look over at the week-end and see if they aren't going to be too challenging for a simple soul like myself LOL

Many thanks once more.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
An off the shelf...with caveats for UK:
https://www.bctint.com/ecommerce.action
Hi Ken

Yes, the iVAC Pro products will work in the UK. They were designed for 240 volts ac and 50 or 60 Hz operation. However, iVAC products are not approved for use in the UK. We will ship them there but the buyer must accept all the responsibility for the use of an electrical device that is not approved. Also, the plugs and receptacles on the iVAC products are the North American style which are not compatible with those in the UK so your friend would have to make adapters. We can supply North american style connectors (at extra cost, of course) but your friend would have to make the adapters.

If you have any more questions please write again or call me using the toll free number below.

Best regards

Dave

---

Dave Goddard
iVAC International Technical Support
www.ivacswitch.com
Phone Toll Free: 1-800-775-5579 (Press 4 for tech support)
This is the one that appeared after I posted my concept/design.

Ken