power conditioner

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i have a power conditioner it is about the size of a ups and weighs about as much as a pc. it apears to bee pretty old. what do these do other than surge protection. it is also isoled from input to output. i read that electronic repair technitions use isolation transformers to avoid making shorts during testing.and ruining equipment. this one will put out 8 amps.
also because of the isolation i am wondering if it will use more power than what gets pluged in it. like if it always will take 8-9 amp to make like 3 amps of output.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
A Power Conditioner will likely use a tank circuit or some other method to smooth your AC. A good one will also use one of several methods to adjust for more prolonged input voltage drops or overvoltage. AC voltage regulation is a bit different than DC regulation and not quite as common.

It should take only a little more power than its output needs.

Sometimes old equipment has features you can't (affordably) buy any more.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
this is a rte deltec power conditioner. mpc 1060, p/n 65134138-9. s/n39498. inut 120v 9 a 60 hz. output 120v.8.4a 60hz. (intended for instalation in a protected enviorment.) cooling or surge protection or mouisture protection?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
It could also be a "ups without battery", i.e. it rectifies mains voltage, and then uses a SMPS to generate AC.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
One post specifies 120V in, 120V out but when you fired it up you only got 22V out of it?

At first it sounded like a Sola regulator, the type that's actually an isolation transformer with an extra winding for a resonant cap.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
when i booted it op the voltage started around 40-50 and built up to full off 122. i toook of the fromt cover and there is a transformaer about the size of a coffe can. looks like the primary is wired directly to the cord through a fuse and switch.
there are 5-6 output wires that go to a circuit board this a sarly big bridge rectifier bolted to it in the corner.and the single outlet comes off this board.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Sounds like a mystery item to me, if you can't find any info on it you might have to draw a crude schematic to figure out what it is.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i know it is a power conditioner. thats what the label says i am just wondering what there purpus is. from what i have heard it is like a surge protector. and if you have a brown out. lower voltage like 90volt input it will make it normal. i think there also supposed to reduce electronic noise and emi from motors and microwaves. is this correct. and that post that i said 22 i ment 122.3 to 122.4.