Potentiometer Question.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ItsAciD, Apr 24, 2013.

1. ItsAciD

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Ok so my voltage source is a external DC Supple, that gives an output of 12V 1.5 Amps. That drives a DC Motor. I want to control the Speed of the DC Motor, however when i connect positive to terminal B, and output to C, The motor does turn on until i reach fully clockwise, and i see a spark, i know thats bad, so i wanted to know how will/can I control the speed of the DC Motor? With a different Pot? The pot I am using is a B10K Pot. Thanks!

2. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Your motor apparently draws too much current for the pot. You will need a driver circuit using a transistor that is controlled by a pot. Google DC motor speed control and "read all about it."

ItsAciD likes this.
  3. ItsAciD

Feb 14, 2013
    ok thanks!! For the information!! Let me give in a look at that.

4. PatM

Dec 31, 2010
    You could also try using a wire wound pot with a linear taper and a much lower resistance.
    10K is too much for what you are trying to do.

5. ItsAciD

Feb 14, 2013
  6. ItsAciD

Feb 14, 2013
    But wouldnt i still a spark out of it, because the motor is drawing alot of current?

7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You need to tell us what the current draw of the motor is. The power supply rating of 1.5A tells nothing about the motor, except that it must not draw much more than that. Pots that can handle much power are usually pretty expensive, and that's why folks build a motor control circuit using cheaper parts. Also, the motor loses torque when turned down by a pot. A PWM controller reduces speed smoothly without as much torque reduction.