potentiometer parts numbers help

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by zombiepokla, Apr 18, 2009.

1. zombiepokla

Thread Starter Member

Mar 30, 2009
    So a friend of mine has a little danelectro practice amp.. one of the potentiometers has gone bad on it, beyond cleaning. I've read on other forums about people who have this same amp doing the same thing. I've contacted the danelectro company to get a schematic or parts list. She gave me a list of the potentiometers that they use for the amp..

1. Dirty-Sweet 100KB
    2. Level 100KB
    3. Bass 10KA
    4. Middle 10KA
    5. Treble 10KB

she said she couldn't give me a schematic, despite the fact that they no longer make these amps, and they "don't have access to replacement parts"

I recognize 100K etc, and on potentiometers in real life i've seen things like B100K , or A100K printed on them. I was curious.. I've never read anything that had an extra letter after the 100K.. can someone fill me in please? thanks
  2. Darren Holdstock

Feb 10, 2009
    A and B are logarithmic and linear. As to which is which, sadly the convention varies. You could turn them to 50% travel and measure with a meter.

Watch out for grumbling electrolytics in the signal path, they make a slightly worn pot sound many times worse as the leakage adds unwanted DC bias.
  3. wollybyte

Apr 5, 2009
    100kB and B100k are the same
    same for 10kA and A10K

the B markings are linear pots and A are LOG pots
    as long as the newer controls fit in place they will work
    just be sure you dont interchange the A and B's
  4. zombiepokla

Thread Starter Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Yes, thank you soo much guys. Helped me out a lot. thanksssss