Potentiometer (Hobby project)

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Brandon$B, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Brandon$B

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi I have quick question about potententiometers.

In this circuit:

http://www.circuitstoday.com/light-activated-switch-circuit

R1 is a Potentionmeter(POT)

I'm using this specific POT:

http://www.jameco.com/1/1/28515-rv16af-10-20r1-b54-potentiometer-50k-rv16a-10-20r1-b50k-linear.html

I fully understand the purpose and operation of this device but I am baffled by what to do with the pins do I join pin 2 to pin 1 or 3? or what?

Thank you for responding to my question your help is sincerely appreciated.

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    You connect pin 2 to either pin 1 or pin 3 depending upon whether you want the resistance to increase or decrease when turning in a clockwise direction. You link gave me an error so I don't don't which way does what, but you can determine that by looking at the pot. It normally shows which way the wiper moves according to rotation direction.

Brandon$B likes this.
  3. abhaymv

Aug 6, 2011
    If by 'join' you mean shorting the pins, no, you do not do that. That would defeat the purpose of the pot. The pot acts as a voltage divider.
    Refer to the figure. This represents a particular position of a 10k potentiometer. The middle pin, Pin 2, is used to divide the overall resistance of the pot (that is, resistance between pins 1 and 3) to two parts. Here R12 is 6k and R23 is 4k. Total resistance R13 = 10k.

Adjusting the cylindrical knob will help you vary R12 and R23 so that they form different divisions of R13.

• pot.PNG
      pot.PNG
      File size:
      5.5 KB
      Views:
    Brandon$B likes this.
  4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Technically when used in that application it should be labeled VR variable resistor. ;)
    Max.

Brandon$B likes this.
  5. Brandon$B

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 12, 2013
    So why did they label it as a POT?

6. abhaymv

Aug 6, 2011
    I assume that's because the component is more commonly known in the market as a pot. As a hobby circuit rather than a professional one, its likely to give names that are readily identifiable in the market.

Atleast that's what I think. :D

But yes, that application works as a variable resistor, not as a potential divider. The technically correct name would be variable resistor.

Brandon$B likes this.
  7. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    A pot can be configured as a variable resistor (as in the circuit you posted) or as a voltage divider (as show in post #3.) In the circuit you posted, the correct answer is the one you got from crutschow.

In my opinion, it's still a potentiometer regardless of how it's used.

Brandon$B likes this.
  8. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I tend to agree. Even if you use it as a doorstop, it's still a pot. One function of a pot is to act as a variable resistor.

Brandon$B likes this.
  9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Probably for detailed definition, it is a potentiometer configured as a variable resistor, because it is not being utilized in the strict definition of a potentiometer. :cool:
    Max.

Brandon$B likes this.
  10. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    At any rate, I realize that my practice of identifying all potentiometers on my schematic drawings as VR1, VR2, etc., is wrong.

11. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    So could one say that a potentiometer can be configured as a variable resistor but a variable resistor cannot be configured as a potentiometer? Now I'm confused!

12. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Not necessarily. I agree with weyneh. A potentiometer (device) is a resistor with a variable wiper on the resistive element. It may be configured as a two-terminal variable resistor or a 3-terminal voltage divider but the device is still a pot, which can be configured different ways.

Sometimes a transistor has the collector connected to the base and is used as a diode, but you don't call it a diode (actually makes a rather ideal diode). It's still a transistor.

13. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    If the variable resistor is a two-terminal device, then no it cannot be used as a pot, which has three terminals.