Pot with Taps

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by DexterMccoy, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DexterMccoy

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I fixed the schematics so they aren't sideways

Why do these pots have TAPS in them?

The TAP creates a different voltage Divider for the wiper?

I'm not sure what a equivalent circuit it of a pot with a TAP

The TAP goes to ground , so the middle of the Pot is tapped off to ground, this must change the voltage divider of the wiper

The inputs to the Pot on both sides of the pot are 26VAC

If the Pot didn't have a TAP to ground, How would this change the wiper?

Having the TAP to ground , the wiper is changed how so?

2. daviddeakin

Aug 6, 2009
    It's like having two pots sharing a single wiper. The wiper sweeps over one pot (one side of the tap), then eventually crosses over onto the other pot (the other side of the tap) leaving the previous side as a fixed resistance.

In your second drawing, the left-hand diagram is correct.

3. DexterMccoy

Feb 19, 2014
    But why use a pot with a tap? If I remove the tap to ground what or how would this change the variable pot?

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    In 40 years I have never seen this convention. My first thought was the case of the pot (which is electrically isolated from the pot itself) is grounded to quieten noise.

Most dual pots show two pots with a dashed line connecting the wiper.

5. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    There are a couple of applications I know of, one is,
    If the tap is connected to say Common/0V and the pot ends to a +V and -V source respectively , turning the post from min to max, means the wiper would sweep from +V decreasing to 0V and increasing to -V.
    I have used this type of pot as motor speed/direction control signal.

http://www.potentiometers.com/potcomFAQ.cfm?FAQID=18

E

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have seen taps on audio controls, a very long time ago, and never figured out what they were for because the problem I was fixing was not concerned with the pots. You know, "Just fix it and be done, the customer's cash is waiting for you to fix it, not educate yourself".

7. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    he taps on the audio pots were to compensate volume and tone, the more you turned up the pot, the tone was adjusted too. but there never were any diodes connected to those pots.

#12 likes this.
  8. DexterMccoy

Feb 19, 2014
    So the tap is a reference point? And yes its set to zero volts . When a pot is adjust from a + supply voltage on the top side of the lug and the - negative voltage on the bottom side of the pot, the pot is a voltage divider or something else?

9. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Looks like you have this one figured out, almost! In the first drawing, when the wiper is positioned exactly over the position of the tap, ZERO volts out. Moving the wiper up produces ever increasing NEGATIVE voltage. Check the diode direction. Likewise, when the wiper is moved in the downward direction, it will output an ever increasing POSITIVE voltage.

The position of the tap may or may not be a the half way point of the total potentiometer resistance. That would allow a different rate of voltage change for the same number of degrees of pot shaft rotation.

10. DexterMccoy

Feb 19, 2014
    Yes true it depends on the tap, some are half way others aren't. My question is why didn't they use a regular pot? The pot with a tap is a different kind of voltage divider? How so

11. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Could it be a bidet? Isn't that a pot with a tap on it?

#12 likes this.
  12. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    As has been explained many times before, in order to answer the WHY, you would need to talk with the engineer that made the determination that a given component is the right thing to use in that particular application. Sometimes, a standard part will not meet the requirement so a SPECIAL part must be designed,manufactured and procured. That part will be very expensive since only a few will be needed.

absf likes this.
  13. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    If they did that, then any fluctuation on either power rail will change the mid-point voltage vs. ground. This way there is less fluctuation in the reference voltage from the voltage divider.

14. DexterMccoy

Feb 19, 2014
    So you're saying that is there is a Raise or drip in the power rails, it will change the mid point of the Pot to ratio degree turns?

So that's why they had to have a TAP off lug to ground, in between the voltage divider

15. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    That is my guess - since the reference will usually be close to ground, then fluctuation will be very small.

16. DexterMccoy

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm not understand why the fluctuation would be better with a Pot with a TAP referenced to ground , or the fluctuation is very small with a POT with a TAP

17. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Then, if it is important to you, you should make some assumptions about possible power rail fluctuations and resistor values and then calculate the possible errors. If it is not important, keep asking questions until you get an answer you like.

absf and shortbus like this.
  18. vk6zgo

Jul 21, 2012
    Back in the late 1950s,& well into the 1960s these were common.
    They were used both in tone controls,& in some TV circuitry.
    In my first job,back in 1959,as a Storeman at an Electronics shop,around 50% of our stock were some version of tapped pot.

Dexter,in your drawing when the wiper is at the centre tap,there is no output voltage.
    When it is moved either side of the centre,the output voltage becomes positive or negative,adjustable between zero & a maximum value.

Your circuit does not show any common connection of the other end of the supply,but I think,despite my comments about assumptions in another thread,we can assume it is meant to be there.

This circuit looks a lot like an old style model train controller,which used a massive specially made "pot" in this configuration.

PS, To better understand how it works,redraw the circuit with two batteries connected "back to back" with their common point connected to the tap.

19. DexterMccoy

Feb 19, 2014
    Yes i have seen them in tone circuit in radios

The TAP pot , TAP lug goes to a Capacitor to ground mostly or a RC network to ground

But each side of the pot is not tied to ground, so it's variable like a balancing between two different inputs

input#1 goes to the Top lug of the pot
    Input#2 goes to the Bottom log of the pot

This is not a voltage divided

A voltage divided goes to ground and the wiper picks off the divided voltage drop

20. vk6zgo

Jul 21, 2012
    You can use a regular pot in a similar circuit.
    In that case,the centre position on the pot looks like a "virtual tap".
    It will work fairly well,but usually there is some uncertainty as to the "zero volts" setting.

The tapped pot gives you a real "zero volts" point,& as you noted,the tap need not be central,which may be important in some circuits.

The tapped pot can be looked at as a voltage divider -IF you are looking at the total voltage present across its outer terminals.

It is more convenient to consider the positive & negative voltages separately.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.