Posts from non-engineers?

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Whatever happened to project development engineers??? Think of frank whittle, he took an old idea (Theory ) and made it work! So, someone comes up with an idea that may or may not be feasible. Practical is not in question at this point. This is where they ask on a forum like this if it is viable. Bad move!!! Because at this time you may or may not get some helpful responses. More likely, if it seems like a good idea that could turn a profit, someone is likely to steal it and before you know it, you've made them rich.
Far better to log the idea witnessed by some legal professional, then approach a reputable developer with a contract that protects your intellectual property.
I hold two patents and receive payments from licence. I learnt a lesson the hard way. When I was 17, I designed a small device at home, took it to work to show my friends when the managing director came along and asked to play with it for a day or two. Within a week, one whole assembly line was turning them out by the thousand, selling them in Exchange and Mart and also to a big retailer.
About a month later, I received a bonus in my wage packet, a whole ten pounds!!! my weekly wage at the time was six pounds!

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
So is that a vote for :not welcome"?
Anyone is welcome here..
But if you join an electronics forum.. expect electronics.. plain and simple..
You are always free to continue the discussion and ask for more help if the information presented happens to be over your head..
That happens to me here too.. There are quite a few things I don't know..
(FYI.. I'm not a licensed/degreed Engineer either but I am the Engineering department at my work with over 500+ products under my belt.. )

You didn't attach the link so I can't comment on that specific post..

Personally I also tend to be cautious with posts about projects that will make the thread starter money (aka a product they are trying to build and sell).. There are plenty of Engineers left in the world that should be getting paid for what the thread starter is sometimes asking for. But if I can help I will so long as its clear they aren't just using us to avoid the costs associated with properly designing a product.
I also really feel that "the devil is in the details" and its very rare to get the full details over the internet.. And when its something that could harm consumers I typically run or comment appropriately and look out.

So thats a vote for "Welcome".. Just don't abuse.

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
I think public disclosure of whatever it is that needs to be patented prior to applying for said patent is a sure way to get it invalidated. So I'm not sure how bouncing some ideas around on a public forum is going to help anyone apply for a patent especially if all you have is that idea.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
A cautious look at the whole belief system surrounding patents and inventing is in order.

Beware of the "Idea - Prototype - Patent - Funding - Rich" trap.

The prevailing mythology around "inventing" is a holdover from the 1900's - the idea that an individual can invent something, patent it and get rich is very intoxicating, but no longer valid.

Money has corrupted the patent system to the point that it's only viable for big corporate players.
The original intent of the patent law system has been perverted to the point that it really does not work for small entities.

My clients spend hundreds of thousands on patent lawyers, almost none of them ever see a dime of that money back.

Last edited:

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Patent trolls are also wrecking the industry. We were sued by a patent troll. The suit had no merit, but it cost us almost $100k in legal fees to defend ourselves. The troll was hoping for a quick settlement out of court.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Patent trolls are also wrecking the industry. We were sued by a patent troll. The suit had no merit, but it cost us almost $100k in legal fees to defend ourselves. The troll was hoping for a quick settlement out of court.
How do you tell the difference between a patent troll and somebody who honestly thinks they had a good patent?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Remember: Patent trolls can't win in court unless the court finds that their patent is valid and was/is infringed. If they can't win, the are unlikely to spend money filing frivolous suits.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
How do you tell the difference between a patent troll and somebody who honestly thinks they had a good patent?
A patent troll is someone who owns a patent (often purchased from someone else) who has never tried to promote the patent use or use it in a product of his own.
The troll then searches for companies who he thinks might be using something close to the patent's intent and sues for extortion money, hoping that the company will pay rather than fight the suit.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Patent trolls typically buy a pile of patents then run around suing anyone who has something even remotely similar to what their patent describes. Their hope is that it will not go to court and they'll get a quick settlement.

Remember: Patent trolls can't win in court unless the court finds that their patent is valid and was/is infringed. If they can't win, the are unlikely to spend money filing frivolous suits.
This is not true. The patent troll who sued us had a long list of other companies they were also suing who IMHO were obviously not infringing. Many companies don't have the money to defend themselves and will just settle, and that's what the troll hopes for. We didn't even go to court and it cost us $100k, many companies would see that coming and quickly settle for less knowing they cannot afford a protracted legal battle, even if they would "win" in the end.

A good corporate lawyer gets hundreds of dollars per hour. Now imagine what it would cost a company to pay an engineer (or a couple) to break down source code and teach a team of lawyers how it works so they can understand it enough to defend you in court. Not only the directly billed hours for both the engineers and the lawyers, but the cost in time that those engineers are not working on current money making projects because they're dealing with the law suit. And if you're developing on a schedule, then you need to hire more engineers to take the place of the temporarily distracted engineers to keep the schedule. In our case it took weeks of back and forth between engineers and lawyers to get things strait. You can see how the cost adds up quick, and why companies would be willing to quickly settle to avoid a legal fight.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
A patent troll is someone who owns a patent (often purchased from someone else) who has never tried to promote the patent use or use it in a product of his own.
The troll then searches for companies who he thinks might be using something close to the patent's intent and sues for extortion money, hoping that the company will pay rather than fight the suit.
Some amendments to the America Invents Act (AIA) are slowing moving through congress with bi-partisan support and lots of support from manufacturers. First, the troll (IP owner but not a practicing entity of the IP) must pay for all court costs, and, second, the troll must disclose all technical details of what is being infringed at the time of filing in court. Historically, they would simply claim (infringement of patent XYZ), if the changes pass, the defendant is informed of details of the claimed infringement and a more informed decision can be made to settle or fight the case. Also, at time of filing and, the financial interests of the troll's organization and specific losses due to the claimed infringement will have to be reported.

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I agree with mcgyvr, everyone is welcome. This forum helps a lot of people. Electronics knowledge is always expanding that is to say new technologies and/or times change. With out going into a lot of detail I have been the electronic's field for very close to 65 years. I remember the time before pcb's and integrated circuits. There are always individuals with closed minds that think they are the expert, but I disagree with them.
I personally do not hold any patents, but over there years I have developed a number of electronic related devices. About 20 years ago I developed a circuit to make incandesant bulbs last for over 10 times the normal life span. I could go on and on, but I try to help individuals that
have a need on the forum.
Ned

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
I heard the end of a news report and could not believe my ears!!!! Apparently, someone or some company is fighting to have patent laws changed in case we find a parallel universe, and if they have the same things as a patent holder in this universe has, then they would be able to claim rights over the other universe. I kid you not, this is seriously being proposed!!!!!!
It seems to be like applying for DNA patents, how the hell do these people think they can "own" such rights????

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I heard the end of a news report and could not believe my ears!!!! Apparently, someone or some company is fighting to have patent laws changed in case we find a parallel universe, and if they have the same things as a patent holder in this universe has, then they would be able to claim rights over the other universe. I kid you not, this is seriously being proposed!!!!!!
It seems to be like applying for DNA patents, how the hell do these people think they can "own" such rights????
Do you have a link?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
What if those in the parallel universe have already filed for patent rights in all known and yet to be known universes and sub sets of any universe in the event that they find us or we find them?

And to further aggravate things their universe is running a few tens of seconds ahead of ours and everyone else so thusly any and every patent we have is invalid being they have the time of filing in their favor? Does that make our entire universe nothing more than one of patent trolls then? o_O

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
...........but what if our universe careened into a cosmic jelly roll that was being eaten by a patent troll in a universe that was 12.5 seconds left of south and then another. Get me!!

Now, what was this thread about???

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
What if those in the parallel universe have already filed for patent rights in all known and yet to be known universes and sub sets of any universe in the event that they find us or we find them?

And to further aggravate things their universe is running a few tens of seconds ahead of ours and everyone else so thusly any and every patent we have is invalid being they have the time of filing in their favor? Does that make our entire universe nothing more than one of patent trolls then? o_O
Yes I did consider that, but of course the arrogance of the people in our universe would not!!! :)
I have been trying to find it myself, I had just turned the tv on and was looking at the program guide, so only had the audio and by the time I switched over it had finished. It would probably have been Sky news or R.T as I hate the Government mouthpiece the BBC.

Last edited: