Posting EAGLE files

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Is there a possibility that Eagle files could be posted directly? I suspect there are security and maybe copyright issues involved. If permission from Cadsoft.de is required, it should see the marketing advantages and not charge much, if anything.

That ability would sure make it easier to get into projects more deeply, facilitate sharing the information more broadly, and avoid having to go the PM route.

Best regards. John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Is there a possibility that Eagle files could be posted directly? I suspect there are security and maybe copyright issues involved. If permission from Cadsoft.de is required, it should see the marketing advantages and not charge much, if anything.

That ability would sure make it easier to get into projects more deeply, facilitate sharing the information more broadly, and avoid having to go the PM route.

Best regards. John
Thanks for the suggestion John. When you say posting Eagle files directly, are you referring to submitting the files as attachments to the forums (in the same way as say PDF or DOC files)? Or are you looking at an in-line solution as per IMG links?

So that I can look into this matter further I will need to familiarise myself with the Eagle layout editor. Files uploaded to the forums are extension filtered, therefore could I ask what are the typical file-extensions for Eagle files?

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Also John, depending on what you are suggesting, I would also need to look into the copyright and security issues - so I ask are you presently aware of any such issues? If it is a question of basic file uploading, then the only considerations would be Cadsoft's proprietary libraries and I'm not sure if this is even an issue. If you clarify the point then I can investigate further.

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi Dave,

I am talking about attaching the Eagle data files, not images of them. The image is easy to do. I usually use PNG. The problem is that it's just an image and if someone wants to change anything or print out the board in accurate size or add a poured ground layer, that can't be done.

Eagle is available at cadsoft.de. The free version is really quite useful for hobbyists. It's native formats are .sch and .brd for schematic and board, respectively. The board files are quite small (20kb or so); the schematics are a little larger and around 100 to 200kb. I just sent via e-mail some files to a forum member related to the series of posts on IR detection. If you want, I can send the whole package to you. It's about 400kb.

Re. the issues of security and copyright. Security is probably the major one. I assume images and text files pose less risk of viruses than data files.

As for copyright, as far as I know there are no issues. I mention it only because if there were any issues in allowing posting of files with proprietary formats, it probably would come under copyright. For example, would posting on the forum be considered a commercial use or open the door to such use? Frankly, though, those concerns are way out, and I think Cadsoft would be happy to have you allow Eagle file attachments. It might even be willing to help in terms of how to scan them for viruses.

Regards, John

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Actually, no I haven't. I will have to try that, but not right now.
John
Here is an example eagle schematic that I zipped up just by itself.

This attachment is a test schematic and is only provided as a test of one way to post a set of eagle pcb files.

hgmjr

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That works great. Now, I am really feeling my age.

Maybe one of the moderators would consider adding that zip files can be used to post schematics and board files to the existing sticky notes on rules and how to use. John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Thanks John. I will take each point in turn:

Hi Dave,

I am talking about attaching the Eagle data files, not images of them. The image is easy to do. I usually use PNG. The problem is that it's just an image and if someone wants to change anything or print out the board in accurate size or add a poured ground layer, that can't be done.

Eagle is available at cadsoft.de. The free version is really quite useful for hobbyists. It's native formats are .sch and .brd for schematic and board, respectively. The board files are quite small (20kb or so); the schematics are a little larger and around 100 to 200kb. I just sent via e-mail some files to a forum member related to the series of posts on IR detection. If you want, I can send the whole package to you. It's about 400kb.
Ok, so you are suggesting adding SCH- and BRD-files to the attachment options so that the original files from Eagle can be added. Given the relative file sizes this should be quite a straight-forward task. We recently added ASC-files at the suggestion of Ron H.

I won't need you to send me the whole package, I will get it from Cadsoft if need be.

Re. the issues of security and copyright. Security is probably the major one. I assume images and text files pose less risk of viruses than data files.
I understand your point. Given the niche focus of Eagle I would be surprised if there were any "in-wild" exploits of its file types. The vast majority of the risks are from the typical file-types; EXE, VBS, BAT, etc. That said I will have a look into it in a little more detail just to confirm this point.

As for copyright, as far as I know there are no issues. I mention it only because if there were any issues in allowing posting of files with proprietary formats, it probably would come under copyright. For example, would posting on the forum be considered a commercial use or open the door to such use? Frankly, though, those concerns are way out, and I think Cadsoft would be happy to have you allow Eagle file attachments. It might even be willing to help in terms of how to scan them for viruses.

Regards, John
Copyright is probably the one that is a little more interesting - you raise a very good point here regarding acceptable use of free/non-commercial software. My suspicion is that forum distribution is not a problem. Why? The non-commercial usage terms are a condition agreed between the end user and vendor as detailed in the EULA. File distribution does not warrant commercial use, however they may be used for commercial purposes and this is an end user issue.

Do you have a text copy of the EULA for Eagle? If so, can you send it me (you still have my e-mail I assume). I will confirm that there are no distribution restrictions and if need be clarify this point with Cadsoft.

All things being well, I will add the SCH- and BRD-files to the attachment manager options as requested. I am off to a wedding reception later, so it may be tomorrow before I get a chance to address some of the above.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
That works great. Now, I am really feeling my age.

Maybe one of the moderators would consider adding that zip files can be used to post schematics and board files to the existing sticky notes on rules and how to use. John
Will do. Thanks.

I can still progress with what we have discussed previously, it won't be much work. The only issue with ZIP-files is that the contents are hidden from the user until extraction - some people don't like this. If we can open-up the common file types that members here at AAC are interested in then I am willing to do some work on it. If it makes using AAC easier/better then we will do it.

If there are other files types that are of interest let me know.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
John,

Having reviewed what we discussed previously I have enabled SCH- and BRD-files from the Eagle software for direct upload to the forums. In accordance with your suggested files sizes previously I have set the maximum file sizes to 200kB for SCH-files and 100kB for BRD-files.

Let me know if the max file sizes are too restrictive and I can review the situation.

Regards,

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I think that limit is fine for brd files. For sch files it needs to be larger. I just reviewed my file sizes, almost all are in the 260KB range. That is probably due to Eagle adding its library to such files. I suggest increasing sch files to 500 KB or at least 350.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I think that limit is fine for brd files. For sch files it needs to be larger. I just reviewed my file sizes, almost all are in the 260KB range. That is probably due to Eagle adding its library to such files. I suggest increasing sch files to 500 KB or at least 350.

John
Thanks John. In order to cover the majority of eventualities the new max file size for SCH-files is 750kB. In instances of larger SCH-files the user may be better advised using the zipping method discussed earlier as this will compress the file saving space.

Try the settings and let me know if you have any issues.

Regards,

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here is a test for uploading Eagle files. Sorry about the delay. The e-mail notification for new posts sometimes doesn't work quite right. If it works, I will delete the file so as not to use too much space. John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It works! The only minor glitch is that I could not drag and drop the files. I had to use the "Save Target As" dialog. That is not even a minor inconvenience. Users may simply need to be advised.

Other editions of Eagle may work differently, so I will leave the attachments up for a couple of days before deleting them.

Because of the large space needs for the Eagle schematic, you might also advise people to use the more common image formats (PNG is usually quite small) and reserve using Eagle for situations in which someone may need to manipulate the schematic or board.

Thanks for doing this.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
It works! The only minor glitch is that I could not drag and drop the files. I had to use the "Save Target As" dialog. That is not even a minor inconvenience. Users may simply need to be advised.
I understand what you are saying about inconveniencing. That said I am not aware of drag-and-drop capabilities on the forums.

Incidentally, last night I tweaked the upload settings to allow for multiple local-uploads from a users PC. Hopefully this will help.

Other editions of Eagle may work differently, so I will leave the attachments up for a couple of days before deleting them.

Because of the large space needs for the Eagle schematic, you might also advise people to use the more common image formats (PNG is usually quite small) and reserve using Eagle for situations in which someone may need to manipulate the schematic or board.
This is something I will address when I come to tweak the Forum Rules and Guide documents. Most people use PNG the majority of the time anyway.

Thanks for doing this.

John
No problem. Let me know if there are other formats that may be of use in the work you are doing.

Dave