Posting box open at the end of a page.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Small suggestion here. Each person decides how many posts are on a "page". The choices are like, 10, 20, 40 posts per page. When we come to the last post on a page, the posting box is still open at the end of the page so, people write in the posting box, click on "Post Quick Reply" and Vbulletin puts the post on the next page. The poster wonders why nothing happened and the person waiting to hear from him also forgets to look on the next page.

"Watch your page numbers. We just changed pages and I didn't know you posted for half an hour!"

"Funny, I did the same thing and posted 3 times because it wasn't showing my last one."

Could you kill the posting box at the end of a page, no matter how many posts a member has selected to view per page?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I think knowing how many pages has the thread you are in is pretty basic observation knowledge in the internet.

What do you suggest in place of the "Quick Reply" box? I 'm pretty sure if people use the "Reply" button on each post, the problem will be the same.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What I suggest instead of a reply box at the bottom of a full page of posts is: nothing. The absence of a box to type in.

Yes, I know it is a pretty basic skill to know how many posts are on your thread, that's why it feels stupid to make this mistake, but people do make this mistake.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
My point is that even if the box isn't there, the "Reply to post" button will still push people to the same mistake. And I can't find an alternative.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I see. When people can't find the reply box at the bottom of the page, they could use the blue oval that says, "Post Reply" and that would make them aware that their post will not show up on the current page.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Personally, I find the Quick Reply field useful, and unless I want to attach a file, this is what I use.

Nonetheless, I will transfer your petition to the admins, but you know their response time these days...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I occasionally make the same mistake, but the thing is, it is my mistake, and I learn. It is a mistake of a different magnitude to try to solve everything, sometimes you just have to learn to use what is given. This site has features offered no where else, such as unlimited editing of posts. I have seem people argue against these features, which I regularly use on a common basis. My point is be very careful what you want to change, lest unintended consequences come to the surface.

Or in the words of an engineering buddy, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks to both of you. My lack of ability in programming a website means I have no idea how difficult it would be, or what unintended things might happen if you do what I asked. As the title of this forum says, it is a suggestion. I am not willing to fight or argue to get what I want. Kicking it upstairs is good enough for me. If it takes a year to do it or it isn't practical, that's OK too.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Far as I know this is a commercial package. I don't really know all the features it has, and those that do ain't talking. Those items that are the same on both AAC and ElectroTech (or any other VBB site) are probably fixed, though it is not a given.

Until Dave or Jrap make a come back (which may be never) I suspect we are looking at a fairly mature (that is to say, unchanging) setup around here.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This site uses the vBulletin software. I own a forum that uses the sister software phpBB.
In that software, the removal of the quick-reply box is as simple as two clicks in the control panel of the admin.

Really not a big deal, but as I said before, that doesn't mean there is the need to do it.