Postal Regulations and other Domestic Services

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GopherT, Apr 19, 2015.

1. GopherT

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Moderator Note: This was split from a flea market post. Since it is off topic I moved it here.

The post office put some tight regulations on mailing sheet magnets in a flat envelope. They were planning on doing different regs for Neo mags as well. I haven't heard if it wa finalized. The shipper is normally on the hook unless it us an import, then the buyer faces fines on hazardous or regulated material shipments.

Be careful.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  2. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    correct. If you order large boxes, they need customs declaration + invoice.
    While on the other hand they dont care 40pcs well wrapped + flat envelope.

I'm selling a 40pcs kit with 3 kinds and one with 2, but thats only small discs and cubes, they wouldnt shatter just snap a little.

3. GopherT

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    No, I am talking about even single magnets because they get caught on the sorting equipment if placed in envelopes and jam the system. Regs for sheet magnets in envelopes are in place. Large (over 1") neo magnets were causing some other issues for them (regs not yet in place).

4. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    well they must be wrapped inside.
    First a little thin foam sheet or bubble wrap or whatever, then outer shell of cardboard tape shut, the envelop also taped crosshatch.

I did tests, nothing sticks, nothing can poke the outer envelope.

Even small glass lamps can be shipped with such a pouch, like neon lamps and so on.

5. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    these kinds are no problem to ship, the chance they can become loose is as remote as a CRT suddenly imploding. I havent heard of that very much.

Cardboard is a material important as plastic, resuseable, lightweight, though it gives optimal protection for electric parts particulary all kinds of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardboard

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Do not forget, Irish postal regs will be different than USA versions. I've notice you seem to forget the country differences.

My personal assumption is things like credit cards and what not being the basis.

7. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    I used to buy large magnets and the boxes were clearly labeled "MAGNETIC MATERIALS" and they were shipped by ground only.

8. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    would you stop mentioning that?
    the only differences are:

domestic via ground
    Europe
    or rest of the world.

That would be a mess if you can bring to Heathrow whatever your country allows.
    Obviously these regulations are international.

I've tested with the wrapping they dont attract the smallest iron pieces, which other regular magnets would do.

To follow policy and hysteria are two things, like do one solder joint, the whole place contaminated and your life at risk.

I weld plastic sometimes just small pieces with a gas burner one wrong move it sets all the cardboard on fire I'd have two minutes maybe. And? I have to do it properly + be able to handle it, refill the gas wait a minute and so on.
    The katalysator remains hot for quite a while.

Your ipad contains Neodymium magnets do they wipe the hard drive or credit cards outside?

Metalmann likes this.
  9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Then stop arguing domestic policies with people who live here. I claim no knowledge of Irish or British postal policies, though I'm mailed to both countries.

Different Countries, different rules. And you don't know the rules here.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  10. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    when you read the post, its international regulations.

Since when you can bring on the plane what your country allows?
    Since when the airport security is by destination country? Did you ever fly international?
    Your post isnt making sense.

11. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Again, we are not talking international shipping, though anything shipped to/through USA must meet our regulations. The OP of the old post is in the USA, the comment that started this debate is from someone in the USA.

You keep trying to talk as if we are in one country, with one set of rules. We are not. And I have no problem believing the USA postal service has regulations that other countries don't, just as other countries may have regulations we don't. The postal service is not international. The US post office honor posts through treaty commitments and agreements, but even then when talking hardware (ie, packages) there are limits (and of course, paperwork and bureaucracy).

If shipping to someone in the USA then you had better be sure your packages are legal.

This is not even getting into the export bans we have for certain technologies.

12. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Well I understand it more now.

40pcs small neodymium magnets suitably packed are no concern.
    A large box of larger kinds that can shatter = HAZMAT, at least require ground shipping + permission from the shipper.

Hazmat regulations are not much different internationally just some countries differ on plants, food and animals + chemicals.