Post pirating or affiliation?

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
I've just found out a post in a forum using my id, which I don't remember ever made and never joined. I do remember vaguely that I made a similar post in this forum. The threads are virtually identical, sans the eliminiation of posts made my another member of this forum (beenthere).

Have a look at:

http://www.seekic.com/forum/7_Datas...racterizing_P_channel_MOSFET__VGSVDS_IDS.html

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=16025&highlight=gate+mosfet+vgs

Is this a case of thread pirating or is that site in any way related to AAC?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I see your other forum as a little dry . This forum is vibrate with discussion
and information on same or near same electronics subject.Theory,more give
and take is there is to subject matter and more posting from more members and
opinion. So come over to stand your ground and make your case. Thanks for your opinion.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
No, that site is entirely separate from us.

You might want to contact the administration of that board to let them know if you feel it's a problem. Are there more than that one post under your user ID?

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
You might want to contact the administration of that board to let them know if you feel it's a problem. Are there more than that one post under your user ID?
I haven't checked, and I don't think I'm going to. It's not a big deal. A screen id is just that, an id. I do not attach that much importance to it. There are certainly other people using the same id as mine out there.

I guess there are many people out there that will do anything to increase the rating of their site, anyway they can. Including copying the content of other forums. One thing I don't understand is why copy the user id? Is user id being considered in SEO? And not just content?

I see your other forum as a little dry . This forum is vibrate with discussion
and information on same or near same electronics subject.Theory,more give
and take is there is to subject matter and more posting from more members and
opinion. So come over to stand your ground and make your case. Thanks for your opinion.
Umm. :confused:

Last edited:

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I see that quite a few so called 'forums' copy and paste commentary into thier sites. I'm sure the reason being to add an impression of popularity, if not only for search engines.

I't's plagerism at best, and furiating when someone is trying to do useful research when you really don't know where the original poster of a thread is actually active. Of course these sites that practice this, typically have low visitation.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I suppose you could see if you can log onto the site. If so, you can post up crank opinions and get thrown off, thus ending the plagiarism.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
How would I know the password? :D

If they also have my password or my email address from AAC, then that would be a security breach, wouldn't it?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I was talking about the other site, if they created an account with your avitar and user ID, not too much you can do there.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
True. Nothing, except complaining to them. And I don't think they will respond satisfactorily. It's not like they have any strict rules on plagiarism (or integrity for that matter).

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Google for "forum bot software auto post auto register".

There are software packages out there that;
1. register lots of accts on lots of forums
2. troll the internet for anything containing keywords (like nightrider LED)
3. create fake posts where they copy text from source A to forum B

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
If they also have my password or my email address from AAC, then that would be a security breach, wouldn't it?
I can assure you no-one has access to your details and we would never give them out to anyone. My assumption is that this is possibly some sort of replication of the posts here at AAC, done for whatever reason.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I can assure you no-one has access to your details and we would never give them out to anyone. My assumption is that this is possibly some sort of replication of the posts here at AAC, done for whatever reason.

Dave
In fact I now convinced of that. Have a look at the forum homepage:http://www.seekic.com/Forum/

The have a forum called General Electronics Chat (sound familiar), with the description:

Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits e-book, worksheets, and videos.
Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Probably it is an automated forum. You shouldn't worry.

In fact, it is good for backups! (It will be our backup forum) :D:D:D
Lol, that's true. I'm sure you're on there too CS!

One thing I did notice from browsing that forum was that posts made by admin or mods were strangely missing (that is a lot of posts, btw!). So some of the threads made little sense as large parts of the discussion were missing.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Indeed, I'm there too. But luckily, none of my projects are posted there.
That's true. They seem to have only take a select few forums, for whatever reason.

Off-Topic: Just been looking at your picture album for the "Unus" project - looks like it is coming on well, and it's nice to be able to put a face to the name :)

Dave