Post Closed

omenhost

Joined Mar 19, 2012
My previous post was closed because I mentioned a vehicle, however my application is not a vehicle modification, nor do I want help on modifying a vehicle's electrical system.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=67714

I understand the TOS and I do not believe I was violating them.

Should I repost my question without mentioning a vehicle or do the moderators require a more in depth explanation of my application?

Thank you

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The first thing is to explain why you need a high power flasher that isn't automotive. It reads like automotive, and we have had many cases where the OP of a thread tried claiming something wasn't automotive when it clearly was after the fact.

We (the moderators) did not make this rule, the owner of this site did, and we are obliged to enforce it, without questioning it. We don't make the rules here, we enforce them.

Personally I have directed people to other sites that do not have this rule. I have even helped them in these other sites.

One such site is:

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/

omenhost

Joined Mar 19, 2012
I realize my application is not one typically seen on this forum.

I am part of a team of engineers designing a mobile highway asset data collection vehicle (think Google StreetView cars). Most of my experience in circuit design is focused on digital and low power analog circuitry. I came across many insightful posts by some of your more expert members and was hoping someone would have experience I could tap into as a place to start research. I am not trying to do anything dangerous as anything I design will have to pass our legal team's scrutiny before it can be deployed.

I understand the dangers of haphazardly modifying vehicles' electrical systems. As an MECP Advanced Installer for four years previous to my current position, I have had to fix many customers damaged systems.
The only modification to the vehicle's electrical system (which is not part of what I am doing, nor am I seeking help with) is an isolated power system, with secondary alternator, the design of which was professionally engineered and has already been in use safely for many years.

The subsystem I am designing needs to work from stationary and mobile platforms. As far as strictly complying with the TOS, my application is not an "automotive modification", it is a completely separate system that could be used in a vehicle in the same way that any other design on this forum could be used in a vehicle.

If this forum is meant purely for enthusiasts then I apologize, however I still believe the input of your members could prove very valuable.

Thank you

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There is some ongoing discussion amongst the moderators going on about your thread elsewhere, if you are patient we will get back to you when a consensus is reached.

The question I would ask is this going to be a flasher on a car similar to a police flasher, or is this going to be external to a car?

I have a high power LED flasher circuit in the Completed Projects forum that is meant as a distraction type circuit.

The subject of automotive circuits are awkward ones for us. As I have said, we did not make these rules.

This is the definitions we use...

No more Automotive Guidelines

omenhost

Joined Mar 19, 2012
This is going to be external to the vehicle. An enclosure housing the illuminant and imaging systems will be mounted on a roof rack designed by our ME staff.

There is no requirement that I design it to interface with the vehicle's 12V power system. As I mentioned before, there is already a large inverter present in the vehicle. I can take 120VAC directly from that or even put another switching power supply in-between. I simply wanted to explore all my options.

I have found the Texas Instruments LED Driver forum to have some good information, but most questions are answered by referencing the best TI product for the job and I would prefer to not limit my search to TI products.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
With all of the ready made versions of things like this, don't think you could build one yourself as good or as inexpensive as a ready made devise.

omenhost

Joined Mar 19, 2012
With all of the ready made versions of things like this,
Do you mean the system I am building, or the LED driver?

don't think you could build one yourself as good or as inexpensive as a ready made devise.
If you mean the LED driver, I can't seem to find anything commercially with the specs I need. I am willing to build it myself but seeing as power electronics are not my forte, I am looking here for advice.