Possible to make a clock using Capacitors?

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Is it possible to make a clock with capacitors?

I mean, just a very stable 1hz signal?

Probably using very tight tolerance capacitors, and resistors?

Then I could use an Arduino Uno to detect when it senses the ON signal, and do something about it. Maybe an extremely stable 1hz LED blinker?

*** HOW TO GENERATE A PURE 1Hz Signal ***

Last edited:

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
I don't think so. You may be able to utilize a capacitor, but it probably won't be the primary component.
How can I generate a 1Hz On-Off signal? With a 555 Timer? Is that accurate? How about a crystal, they seem to be in all kinds of clocks and stuff. But I don't see a 1Hz crystals on mouser.

I looked up 1hz crystals, and it seems it would need to be very large.. Most clocks use 32 Khz, which is beyond my understanding.

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Alright, so before I buy these things. Can someone look at my cart, and see if everything I'm getting is correct..?

Here's my cart on Mouser Electronics : HERE

815-AB38T-32.768KHZ
595-CD4060BE
595-CD4027BE
594-MBB02070C3303FCT
603-MFR-25FTE52-6M8
75-1C20C0G330J050B

Does everything look good?

I'm just going to make this on a solderless breadboard first, and see what happens. I've never did anything this advanced, and I got a couple of each just in case things don't go well.

Idk, I just wanted to make a clock, that's all. This will simply generate 1hz or 0.5hz, and it will be feed into an arduino, and I'll let the arduino handle it from there. I honestly don't want the project to be bulky.

I checked out a couple videos on YouTube with people that have a crap load of wires all over the place, and it seems really messy. I honestly don't know how the Chinese or Japanese people get all those components into little LCD watches.

Probably SMD components, but those watches are so tiny, it's still a little hard to believe.

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Besides the two posts I just did.. How do you make electronic components add? I mean, the arduino is nice and all, but how do you make electronic components count or add?

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
If you are feeding it into an Arduino, you don't need a 1hz signal. The Arduino has an internal clock!

You can even use a timer interrupt, so you sketch can do other tasks while it is waiting for the 1hz signal. Look at this...
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/Timer1

If you need more accuracy, you can get a real time clock (RTC).
Not feeding it into an Arduino, I changed my mine. I'm also aware of the RTC DS3231.

What's wrong with the accuracy of the circuit I posted? Is it not accurate?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The RTCs use a 32k crystal because it is more stable. Then there divide it down to get a 1Hz signal. 32768 happens to be a binary multiple, so the division is easy.

2 raised to the 16th is 32768

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
The RTCs use a 32k crystal because it is more stable. Then there divide it down to get a 1Hz signal. 32768 happens to be a binary multiple, so the division is easy.

2 raised to the 16th is 32768
Do I not have a 32.768k crystal in my cart? I honestly don't see what's the difference between what I have and a "XTAL" type crystal, which I have no clue what anyone's talking about. I'm obviously a beginner with this stuff.

I honestly thought I could pick out the parts mentioned in the Hacker's Bench 1Hz page, but I guess I'm clueless. Seriously.

Can I please get some help, guidance, assistance in here?

Let me clarify. I'm obviously a noob, or whatever. Everyone in AAC, including the person that created AAC did NOT know what a XTAL was or whatever when they were born. I lack the knowledge. I am requesting guidance.

Q. Did I try searching eBay, like Dodgydave told me to?
A. Yes Sir, I did.

Q. Do I know what XTAL means?
A. NOPE. Not a clue.

Q. Do I know what the difference is between the crystals in my cart I've listed and the "XTAL" crystal?
A. NOPE.

Q. Do I know how to find/buy Capacitors on Mouser Electronics?
A. Kinda.

Q. Do I know how to buy a n-Channel Mosfet?
A. lol, yes. I sure do.

Q. As for the CD4013 and CD4060, use DIL/DIP socket types.
A. They're the same thing. DIL/DIP means the same thing.

It's Dual in-line package.

Q.What kind of package is the 595-CD4060BE I have in my cart?
A. PDIP-16.. o_O

Plastic DIP (PDIP) packages are usually sealed by fusing or cementing the plastic halves around the leads, but a high degree of hermeticity is not achieved because the plastic itself is usually somewhat porous to moisture and the process cannot ensure a good microscopic seal between the leads and the plastic at all points around the perimeter.

Q. What's a CD4060?
A. It's a counter IC. It counts bits?

Please bare with me, I'm trying to understand.

So in order to get 32.768 Khz, or technically, 32,768 Hz down to 1Hz, I need to count the bits?

Btw, If anyone cares, if, and when I try learning stuff like this, I usually stay up for hours on end (very late 6, 7, 8am) and learn as much as I can online.

So I'm fully aware I DID NOT make it clear where my understanding is on these components I'm working with.

bla bla bla.. I'm also fully aware what binary is, and how to count in binary, and also how to convert binary to decimal.

As for the counter ICs, I'm a noob, or a beginner. A little heads up, I also was checking out the 595-CD74AC14E on mouser. I wanted to mess with n-Channel mosfets with the chip, and maybe make a simple power-on, LED goes off, power-off, LED goes on, type circuit.

But anyways, I need to learn a little more about what XTAL is, and what counter ICs do. So..

Q. Did I try searching for the DIP/DIL package for the Counter IC?
A. Yes, this is the results I got.

Not very many of them.. only five results for DIP-16, DIP-24, which means Dual In-line package with either 16 or 24 legs, or leads.

I need some help guys.. Maybe I'll go and try to learn about Counter ICs.

Last edited: