Possible to get 2 x 12v DC motors into 24v?

dvn8

Joined Jul 13, 2009
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to get 24v if I have 2 wind generators with the power output of 12v each without using batteries?

Or are there another ways to convert the 12v DC into 24DC?

thanks

kokkie_d

Joined Jan 12, 2009
Short answer: yes.

Put the generators in series and you get 24 volt. Another way of doing this is by puttingthe generators in parallel and boosting the voltage to 24volt using the appropriate circuitry.

dvn8

Joined Jul 13, 2009
The series circuit won't work and can some one please tell how to get 24v using the parallel circuit or other ways?

It's urgent and I need the answer soon please

thanks

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Putting two generators on series might lead to problems.
The generators will probably generate different powers,
this is not good when putten in series.

Greetings,
Bertus

dvn8

Joined Jul 13, 2009
If the generators run same speed, won't there be any problems unless it is running at different speed.

If I get the 2 generators to run the speed then it will be fine and I get 24v?

thanks

swcash

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Getting 24 volts from two 12 volt generators is do-able. If you could tell us what type of generators you have exactly, it would help. Are they the same size? What type of voltage regulation? Is the application the same for both?
Squido W Cash

Would anyone like to comment on why so many posters on this site are not willing to state where they reside. Is there something here to be afraid of? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My feeling is keep em separate, and use what circuitry you need to get them whatever voltage they need to be. You can merge them after all the power processing a lot easier.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Your DC Generators would have to put out 26 Volts or more for you to charge a 24 volt battery bank. The generators output will always be pulled down to the battery voltage level. I have tried doing the same thing with my windmill, but unless your generator can put out 24+ volts it wont work. On the other hand, you can build a PWM charge circuit to pulse the power to the batteries with a step up DC to DC converter, doing it this way would also reduce desulfation of the batteries. See my windmill work log here >> http://www.morse-code.com/windmill_generator.htm

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I guess you have two 12 volts batteries perhaps you can charge each battery separately but draw the current in series hence 24 volt.