possible to alter a sonic cleaner?

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
Hey guys!! I have a sonic cleaner. it takes 3 c batteries and has two holding tank cups about 2 inch diameter. I need to clean a small gokart carburetor and I've tried everything.
I'm wondering if there might be a way to up the voltage and make a bigger holding tank for it. The carb is about 6 inches long and 1.5 inch wide.

Or maybe it has enough volts as is, and I can use a plastic tupperware to make the holding tank bigger?

Edit: mybad its 3 AA

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You can add another AA, but smoke is always a possibility.
Then again, changing to C batteries might be all you need to get full current flow!

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
You know what. I'm just going to buy a cheap one with the xmass money I get.
Biggest one I can find is 7.9" but thats the size of the whole unit is maybe like 5 inches inside. I can always do half and half on the carb.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You can add another AA, but smoke is always a possibility.
Then again, changing to C batteries might be all you need to get full current flow!
It is not an ion cleaner. It is a sonic cleaner. More current would have nothing to do with it. It is going to only draw so much.

My guess it is being driven as hard as it can be driven. What is probably needed is a larger cleaner.

You would have to do a tear down of the cleaner to see what is being driven and if upping the voltage would do any good.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My guess is that the internal resistance of the AA batteries might be limiting the current by drooping voltage under load. Trying C batteries is a simple way to test for that and no risk of letting the magic smoke out.