Possible mistake in AC current page

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by bluskies, Feb 16, 2012.

1. bluskies

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    In the "What is alternating current (AC)?" page (http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_1/1.html), I believe there may be a mistake in the analogy between mechanical geartrains and transformers.

The way the article is written portrays high speed/low torque as analogous to high current/low voltage. I believe it should be the other way around, since voltage is more related to speed than torque.

For instance, a taser does not kill even though its voltage is massive - because the current (amps) is very low. In other words, the speed is very high and the torque is very low. But a standard housefold current of "only" [compared to a taser] 240V will kill because the current is relatively massive.

I think the images should be reordered on that page.
    Cheers!

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I assume you are talking about this section...

OK, looking at it for a while I see what you are talking about. In the scheme of things I don't think it matters though. The point is one goes up the other goes down. Unlike hydraulics, the two are not directly analogous to each other.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  3. bluskies

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Okay, just thought I'd run it by people in the forum in case someone was interested (or I was mistaken lol).

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    We always like input. I tend to be a go between for the editor, and mine is not the last word.

Thanks for taking the time.