Portlandia

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I guess the FCC will now rule the broadcasted graphics can not interfere with the cc banner, so they will move to the top of the display.

Next will be SAP on all the time, taking their own spot above cc.

Before you know it, we will be complaining about not seeing the dam video because of the mandated streams.

Maybe just live video and no audio is the answer. No commercials, no audio, just video. Ie would be almost like sitting In the stands of an empty stadium. No instant replay, no play by play man, no color man, just raw video.

The playing field would be equal.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
First, I don't know of any bars that have the volume on. Just the TVs in every corner showing different games. The deaf people were not disadvantaged. I have seen some bars have turn on closed captioning when people ask for the sound to be turned on for some specific game.

Now that closed captions will be on the bottom of the screen for the deaf, the Next step in Portland will be for the blind to ask for closed captioning in Braille across the top of the screen. They will all be standing behind the bar trying to box-out other blind patrons for position as they stretch their arm up to feel the dots scroll across the top of the screen.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
They will all be standing behind the bar trying to box-out other blind patrons for position as they stretch their arm up to feel the dots scroll across the top of the screen.
Wait, I think I just invented a new sport!

... but doomed to failure since there will be no way to create closed captioning for the closed caption deciphering event.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
First, I don't know of any bars that have the volume on. Just the TVs in every corner showing different games. The deaf people were not disadvantaged. I have seen some bars have turn on closed captioning when people ask for the sound to be turned on for some specific game.

Now that closed captions will be on the bottom of the screen for the deaf, the Next step in Portland will be for the blind to ask for closed captioning in Braille across the top of the screen. They will all be standing behind the bar trying to box-out other blind patrons for position as they stretch their arm up to feel the dots scroll across the top of the screen.
Yeah most bars don't have the volume up so I do not understand the beef. Perhaps the deaf guy does not realize he isn't missing anything? ;)

And the dude needs a major hair cut and shave. It would only cost him 2 bits.

I do wonder if he is blind too? Can't be possible that he looks in the mirror every day and says "man I look good"! :)

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The next Portland law will require closed captions and sign at movie theaters. :eek:

Be inclusive, have the CC in Spanish.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Tell us how you feel about Portland NSASpook. :)

Actually I thought Portland was a pretty cool city though I did not spend too much time there. Basically an afternoon riding around the bike paths along the river. Then I was off to Mcminville for the night then on down to the coast to ride down to Arcata. That road between Mcminville and Lincoln City can be awfully pretty.

IMG_1920.JPG IMG_1923.JPG

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
WAY too many homeless in Portland. That park down by the river is filled with them. Probably speaks to the politics of the rest of the city.