Portable Welder Help with Parts

cat3rn

Joined Jun 3, 2008
The alternator is 135 amp 14.8 volts. Standard for a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP.
The battery is the typical 12v car battery.
There are 2 - 1.5 ohm 8 amp resistors. (are these large enough)
There is 1 diode (I need help with what type, size etc.)
There is 1 Thermal Overload Switch (heat sensing to automatically shut off the welder.) I need help with which one here also.
The wires to the ground and rod holder are 4 gauge.

Sorry I should have included this earlier.

Bill

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You have a very loud explosion in your future. :eek:

Abandon the idea of using an automotive battery as a source of power for an arc welder.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
At first glance, the diode looks like it is in backward. And why the heck is it in the ground line?

Sgt Wookie is right. Batteries need some kind of current limitation or they get too hot too fast. No current limitation is provided in this design. (Which would also make it a poor quality welder...)

cat3rn

Joined Jun 3, 2008
At first glance, the diode looks like it is in backward. And why the heck is it in the ground line?

Sgt Wookie is right. Batteries need some kind of current limitation or they get too hot too fast. No current limitation is provided in this design. (Which would also make it a poor quality welder...)
That is why I come to you guys. You're the Bomb (no pun intended - explosion lol)

So instead of abandoning the idea - let's make it work. Any help is appreciated. I got that schematic off an older website and he made it work on an older jeep. I did see it in action but only used it for about 20 mins tops. A current limiter and other mods could make this work much better.

Bill