Portable TV

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Lightfire, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Lightfire

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Hello,

I was searching for portable TV last night and I found some but can't understand any of those...

So, I am asking now here in our forum... Is there any portable tv which is rated as 12 v DC???

So, I can use it if there's an electric outage... thanks!

2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    They tend to be small screens. If it were me I'd get a TV tuner card for my laptop.

3. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    but there are some portable tv???

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  5. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    Of course portable TVs exist. Some may be able to operate from 12V, but note that only very small screen sizes can be operated from AA cells. Even a small screen can only run for a few hours with such small batteries.

Whether you can find an appropriate set available at an affordable price is another matter. I'm surprised though that you cannot understand the TVs found on the web - can you not find advertisements from local suppliers in your own language? You are right to beware of ordering anything unless you are sure that it is suitable for use in your area. Different countries use different TV systems and they can be incompatible.

I agree with the last poster that if you already have a laptop (with a good battery), one of those USB plug-in TV tuners would probably be better and cheaper. One warning though: check that your computer is compatible before buying! Older, less powerful machines with legacy operating systems and /or no fast USB connection may not be able to work with a TV adapter.

6. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
  7. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    No. It won't be going to be operated with a small AA cells. It will be going to be operated by a voltaic cells. Which is 12 v. :)

Thanks!

No, there is no advertisements of TV in my country that that is 12 v. But yeah, there's an advertisements which advertise TV but 240 volts or those which is operated by electricity/I mean electric company...

thanks!

8. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    That does not seem to be right: following up a previous poster's link, I found this:
    http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/v...Inch)+-+Free+Delivery?referralKeywords=12V+TV

This is an expensive product and probably not what you want, but it IS 12V operated and it comes from a dealer in the Philippines.

9. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    hello,

i mean in advertisement is not in the internet. i mean via television....

10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I haven't seen any in a while, but their used to be a lot of old TV's that took batteries. Since you are in a different country, you may not have gone through the digital TV transistion. What is the TV standard in your country? (NTSC, PAL, or other) You will probably have to ask someone, it isn't something a man off the street may know.

11. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009