Portable Speaker Tower

canby87

Joined Jan 5, 2015
I'm in the process of building a portable speaker tower. The tower will consist of two 8" sub woofers, two 6.5" sub woofers, and two .5" tweeters. I plan on using a dual din head unit and mounting on the top. I will power the 6.5" subs and the tweeters through the built in amp on the head unit, and get another amplifier for the two 8" subs. All in all its 3' tall, 10" wide, and 8" in depth. I would like to add some sort of adapter to make it power able by a wall outlet. I've heard of converting pc power supplys to do this, is that an option. If not, what else could I do? I was thinking of making it deatchable to make it more portable. Connection wise, I was thinking some sort of exterior plug with a female port on the back of one and a male on the other. Lastly, I want to add LED lighting strips to it for an awesome effect. Opinions or suggestions welcome on anything.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You need to figure out what voltages and currents all of the amplifiers will demand.
You will find that a PC power supply does not match your requirements.
You can build your own unregulated supply with a transformer, rectifiers and smoothing capacitor.

canby87

Joined Jan 5, 2015
For the head unit, 10 amps, and for the amplifier, 36 amps. I'm unfamiliar with building circuits, honestly I'd love to learn but i have no clue as to what the components are and how it works. Is this a relatively simple task to do or would I need another solution?

canby87

Joined Jan 5, 2015
Looks like I read that wrong, sorry. I'm getting these from the owner's manuals. For the amplifier, it says that the average current drawn is 9.5 amps for two channels, which I will be using. For the head unit, it says maximum current consumption is 10 amps. It did not give me any other figures. As for the voltages, the both say, Power Source: 14.4 V DC (10.8 V to 15.1 V DC allowable).