Portable guitar recorder

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by kingslayer, May 6, 2010.

1. kingslayer

Thread Starter Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Hi all,

I just started to work on a new project regarding a portable guitar audio recorder to do by my own (or anyone else who wants to work with me :)).

The premise is the following: I want to create a certain background on embedded design from hardware to firmware to software, in an integrated way. I already have some expertise on FPGA hardware design, software design and little experience with firmware for microcontrollers, but I lack in PCB design :confused:. I think this is an oportunity for me to get such a background, and also to enjoy!!

The output of the project should be something like a portable guitar recorder that can be connected to the PC via USB. THe guitarist (i.e., me :D) plugs the guitar into the device and this will encode the input audio into MP3 (probably mixing the incoming guitar output with an already existing MP3, e.g. from a CD player) and sends it to the PC via USB (or store the encoding on a USB key). I know there are lots of those devices out there, but this project is meant to enjoy electronics, and for me to create a certain background.

Does anyone of you would like to participate with me? Notice that this will be something to do in my/your spare time, since as many of you my main time is dedicated to my job :cool: (let's say I will allocate 2/3 years to do the project, working on it once a week) and, aboveall, the output will not be sold. It would be interesting to do all the stuff in an "open source" policy: hardware and software design will be accessible to anyone!

Thanks for your participation
    Simone

2. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
  3. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
  4. kingslayer

Thread Starter Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Great! Thanks for the advice: that site is very interesting.

Regards
    Simone

5. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Looks like you want to build an USB sound card;)

6. kingslayer

Thread Starter Member

Mar 20, 2010
    :D I actually have a draft architecture in mind, but I have to collect more detailed specifications on it.

7. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Also take a look into data loggers. What you are working towards has been done, but I am guessing you want to design from scratch for the knowledge.

There are a few used in biology for recording bat calls in the wild, then taking them back to the lab, connecting to a PC and analyzing the sounds.

8. kingslayer

Thread Starter Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Data loggers... I never knew about them.
    Thanks again guys for precious help.

Regards
    Simone

9. svenn

Jul 2, 2010
    Simone,
    why do you want to do the mp3 stuff in your box? mp3 is not exactly open source friendly, but you didn't tell much about the motivation for making such a box except for gaining experience. It sounds very much like a play-along/sing-along recorder, but maybe you could elaborate a bit more.