Popup Ad Before Login is Allowed

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Now there is a pop-up ad before ANYONE is allowed to see the log in page.
I don't click on pop-ups.
In general, I close the tab.
If that results in another, "This site is asking if you're sure you want to leave" pop-up, I use Task Manager to end the browser session.
Lots of people don't fall for that old, "Give me a virus" trick.
You can tell ME it isn't consent to download a virus, but you can't tell people that just close the tab.
Thanks for pooping on the front page, Orange Team.
What are you selling which is that important?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Hmmm. I just logged out, went to the dreaded, accursed, demonic Orange home page, then logged back in again. Went to the Forums and everything turned blessedly, divinely, deliciously cool blue again. No popup, anywhere.

MacBook Air, OS X 10.10.4, Adblock Plus, Chrome Version 43.0.2357.134 (64-bit).

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have checked my Firefox to see if it could save cookies for AAC, but I couldn't find the "exception" page. Maybe that is related to my choice to, "Never remember History".

Aha. It's CC Cleaner that makes my shortcut go to the pop-up infested login page...as any stranger would arrive. If I don't run CC Cleaner, I arrive at the Forums page and it's Orange until I login.

My point is, Why should all the members work out ways to avoid a pop-up (and all the public have to endure it) when there is a choice to not have a pop-up?

What is the Orange Team selling that requires a pop-up before the login page?

Maybe I should just click on the pop-up, but I want to know why it's there.
Why must this site present itself to the general public as, "Just as annoying as any other site, and more, as we have time to add more pop-ups and drop-downs."? Watch for side-slippers and margin video next week.

Edit: The Orange team is selling National Instruments with a pop-up for all of the general public which arrives at AAC (and a few people that clear their browsing history and cookies).

http://www.ni.com/academic/engaging-engineering/

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No...wait...that didn't work. I didn't log out, just closed Firefox, waited 3 seconds, and opened up Firefox. Click on AAC shortcut, and there's the popup.

Can you imagine the cartoon of Homer strangling Bart Simpson?

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
......If that results in another, "This site is asking if you're sure you want to leave" pop-up, I use Task Manager to end the browser session................
If you are using firefox there are two ways close these without the task manager.

1. Hover the mouse pointer over the Firefox icon in the task bar. A postage stamp view of all open windows will appear. Move the pointer to the offending window and a nice red box with a white X will appear in the upper right corner. Clicking it closes that window. (This is my favorite.)

2. Right click the firefox icon in the task bar and select "close window", which closes the active window.

If a site assaults me with multiple windows, method #1 works best. Like shooting ducks in a barrel.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I'm wondering if you should just logout, go off AAC, in Firefox settings, search and blow away any allaboutcircuits cookies (there's one called .. popups) and login from forums.allaboutcircuits.com. Reset your profile preferences from there. Tell Firefox to remember history and CC cleaner to leave your AAC cookies alone.

I tried that for you but when I tried to logout.. it went all orange, said I didn't have sufficient privileges to do that then returned me to the blue screens...

Geeze..

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Apparently Adblock plus fixed this. Funny...I had Adblock plus previously. I guess it got deleted as the different versions of Firefox went by over the last couple of years. Reinstalled defense against Orange Team pop-ups. Watching for what's new next week.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
At least annoy valuable prospective forum members.
I don't know how many people wipe their Internet history and cookies every day. I don't know how many people have Adblock Plus. I have to assume the pop-up was put there because it will pop-up on unsuspecting visitors at least part of the time.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
The kids that the orange section is meant to attract, grew up on pop-ups. They are the social networking addicts of the internet. They are quite happy that their information is harvested and that they are force fed advertizements based on their browsing.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The kids that the orange section is meant to attract, grew up on pop-ups. They are the social networking addicts of the internet. They are quite happy that their information is harvested and that they are force fed advertizements based on their browsing.
Then for them, at least... resistance is futile... Emoji Smiley-33.png

photo-5242.jpg