Pool safety and electricity

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by wayneh, Sep 8, 2014.

  1. wayneh

    Thread Starter Expert

    Sep 9, 2010
    12,151
    3,058
    Just learned about this story. A child's death was blamed on a "faulty ground wire", more details here.

    A related video here with some details here. (The last link fails for me.)

    Please excuse the pun, but it's shocking to me that these events can happen in this day and age. I guess it answers the debate about the toaster in the bathtub effectiveness. That you can be electrocuted in a pool by a fault in the lighting tells me that the "safe distance" is more than a few feet.
     
  2. JohnInTX

    Moderator

    Jun 26, 2012
    2,347
    1,029
    Tragic.
    Multiple failures have to occur for this to happen. Code requires a GFCI on the light power and grounding on the fixture and pool. Pool grounding includes a large, bare copper wire connected to the pool structure, all pumps, blowers and other fixtures grounded at the box and in our case, a dedicated ground rod at the wall.

    My pool light recently started causing the GFCI to trip, presumably due to water leakage into the fixture, not uncommon. Until I can fix it, the cord is disconnected at the switch. That's the way its supposed to work.

    Sad.
     
  3. Lee697

    New Member

    Aug 31, 2014
    26
    0
    Surely using 12V lights in a pool would make more sense??? At least then if all safety/seals fail, no harm can occur....
     
  4. wayneh

    Thread Starter Expert

    Sep 9, 2010
    12,151
    3,058
    There are so many solutions. I guess that's why it's news when this happens - it's thankfully a rare thing.
     
Loading...