Polling USB or Serial port, which is easier ?

Sulaiman

Joined Aug 13, 2010
Hi All,

I just wanted to know which would be simpler to implement through hardware (software is not a problem for me)

I will be sending 16 bits from a 16 bit shifter, and it seems like I can just shift them serially into the USB port, and then store the bits on the PC and then do my own software analysis. Is that possible ? I have read some articles that imply USB is not that simple to use...

If not, is it possible to do that with the serial port?

Basically my question is: what is simplest way of transferring 16 bits to a PC at any moment in time ?

Thanks in advance.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Or you can use a Serial to USB dongle if you do not have a serial port, the PC will "see" the USB adapter as a Serial Port....

B. Morse

Sulaiman

Joined Aug 13, 2010
Thanks guys :)

lol "bit banging" sounds so funny :D Aptly named...

Yeah I was planning on using the USB to serial adapter, but now I just have this question: How do I bit-bang the serial port? Google has been unhelpful... Could you just point me in the right direction?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
What programming language do you use for writing the PC side application?? (VB, C#, etc.)

In VB6 you can use the MSComm control ocx, then just set the commInputMode to Binary....

B. Morse

Sulaiman

Joined Aug 13, 2010
I'm comfortable with any language. Just want it to be able to edit xlsx files, which I think shouldn't be a problem for VB, C# or Java...

So I'll be using the MsComm control ocx to listen to the serial port infinitely. I hope that won't slow down the computer...

Thanks again :)