(Poll)Your opinion on what would be the more fruitful college major

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hunter Neumann, Sep 23, 2015.

What would be the more fruitful degree in your opinion?

1. Electrical/Computer Engineering

5 vote(s)
  2. Computer Science with a concentration(minor) in Computer Engineering

1 vote(s)
  1. Hunter Neumann

Thread Starter Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Please support your answer in the forum below. If you would like to add your input on other potential minors/ majors I should look at with these degrees it would be appreciated. An example would be a math minor could go along well with the electrical/computer engineering degree because it would only take an extra math class. (I know this varies school to school but its still helpful information) Id like to see beneficial master degrees as well. Also, by fruitful I don't necessarily mean earning potential although that is a factor.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Because an "engineering degree" is a ticket to play and gives broad "smart, capable problem solver, project manager" status when working on a large organization . Computer Science major just makes you a computer guy.
  3. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I say get a class A commercial driver's licence and find a job in the oil fields. Starting pay ~$100K a year plus loads of opportunity to travel and cross train in different positions all with the very real likelihood of fast advancement to even higher paying careers in the industry.

I have met a few almost ambitious guys who went from know nothing truck driving peons to running well sites and crews and pulling down $300K+ a year in less than 10 years. I don't know of any electrical or computer engineering that will give you loads of opportunities for that sort of training, experience, skills and opportunities in that sort of time frames. ;)
    BR-549 likes this.
  4. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    The answer to your question depends entirely on your definition of "fruitful".
  5. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Hopefully he's not like a lot of engineers I have worked with over the years and is mostly full of bananas when it comes to their views of reality. :eek:
  6. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Chose something you like and are interested in. If you like what your doing, it is less of a job to go to work.
    panic mode likes this.
  7. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    Who are you?
    What do you like?
    What do you don't like?
    Have you ever lost a fist fight?
    Have you ever won a fist fight?
    Do you change the oil in your car?
    Have you changed the oil in other peoples cars?
    Are you pissed off about the the way the world is going?
    Do you think you can find an answer that will make a difference?
    Do you think is it cool that each sentence gets longer and longer, including this one.

It is the degree that is consistence with your answers to the above questions. A degree is not external to who you are, it is an expansion of what you are. If your degree fits you, you will be fruitful.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    panic mode, Sinus23 and ronv like this.
  8. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    No. But I thought it was cool that I noticed before you mentioned it.
    justtrying likes this.
  9. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    Another cheap and lucrative option is to become an elevator mechanic/technician and work your way up to engineering.

That's what I did 35 years ago. :)
  10. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Pun intended?

Go with post #6. If you like what you're doing, it will be long between the "rainy" days, when you think your job sucks. :)
    Sinus23, shortbus and GopherT like this.
  11. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    That is part of an old comedy routine. Something like...

"You can be come an elevator repairman and work your way to the top, or become a farmer - I'm sure you'll be outstanding in your field."

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a garbage man. I thought it was great because people a ways throw away cool stuff that I could recover and, from my limited observation, you only had to work on Thursdays.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Sinus23, shortbus and nerdegutta like this.
  12. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    I thought the whole point of an elevator was to do the work for you...
  13. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010

B.S. in horticulture.
  14. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    More specifically, pomology.
    tracecom likes this.
  15. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    How about fruit retailing? You cannot get any more fruitful than that, :)
  16. indeedisuper

Oct 14, 2015
    I think the more fulfilling choice of the two would be the one you can see yourself doing and making the most impact, not necessarily the one that makes the most money or is the most "fun".

That being said, my vote was for electrical engineering because of its prevalence in multiple fields/industries. If you want to help solve the energy crisis, progress the development of robotics, develop new bionic devices etc., electrical engineering has a place in it all.

In college, a CS with a concentration in CE gives you a lot of depth (although it still only skims the surface of how vast the field of CS/CE is) in anything computer related.

An EE degree with a concentration in CE gives you a less restricted experience with you getting to understand EE from a very theoretical basis (semiconductors, electromagnetics, DSP, etc). With a CE concentration you can delve into computer architecture, embedded programming, etc...but it also gives you the option to opt out of computers if you find halfway through college that your interest is in, say, Electrophysiology.

If you went for an EE degree, it's easy to have CS as a minor since you would most likely knock out CS and EE electives with your concentration in CE.

2 cents from a recent ECE graduate.

Oh, and having an EE knowledge changes the way you see how things work...it's nice to know that things aren't just black boxes anymore.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  17. Papabravo

Feb 24, 2006
    Those degrees may eventually require you to move overseas.
    As they said when I got my 2nd Mater's degree in Financial Engineering

"It's Dubai, Mumbai, Shanghai, or goodbye."

You did not specify your location, so maybe that little bit of doggerel is irrelevant.
    panic mode likes this.