Poll: Which forum style do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by tjohnson, Jun 2, 2015.

Which forum style do you prefer?

Poll closed Jul 2, 2015.
  1. New style (EETech)

10.5%
  2. Old style (vB 3.x - Fluid)

80.7%
  3. I don't know yet

8.8%
  1. tjohnson

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 23, 2014
    I'm not trying to start a petition, but am curious to see in which direction popular opinion leans.

2. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Nice to see someone implemented my idea. I was beginning if I'd have to start a poll myself! :D

I voted.

3. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Might I respectfully suggest that you add a third, "To Early To Say", option?

Sincerely
    HP

4. tjohnson

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Good idea. I added an option "I don't know yet."

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    One interesting question to those responsible for the change is, what was behind the driving force or what inspired the apparent need for the change?
    Max.

killivolt, shortbus, OBW0549 and 2 others like this.
  6. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Think of the poor newbies that come to this web site and do not know that they can get rid of the horrible new format....

#12 and BR-549 like this.
  7. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    Excellent question. What, exactly, were the design goals for this perplexing transmogrification?

8. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I have no doubts whatsoever that the changes in format, functions and colors were done with the very best of intentions.

However, as I'd learned many years ago when I was doing Systems Analysis as a senior programmer - if you change (a) system(s) without asking for input from the end user(s), they will despise the new system(s) and will do everything they can to break it/make it fail. There is a certain comfort in familiarity; people by their very nature are resistant to change - particularly those who are "older", like myself. If you wish to alienate your long-time members and wind up with virtually all "noobs" - then changing the system(s) with no user input is one way to accomplish that.

Sorry, that's just the way it is.

#12, killivolt, Sinus23 and 7 others like this.
  9. Nick Blanck

Jun 2, 2015
    I am fairly adaptive to change, but i'm a big fan of the old format. Not that it was easy to navigate, the design was just ....appealing. The Orange borders are a little annoying and overwhelming. With a brighter color out of the corner of my eye It takes a good chunk of my focus away.

10. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Apparently whoever the previous owner was sold this site to some <clip> marketing company, and this is the first of many more great changes that are to come.
    And I really hope I am wrong on this one, it´s been great almost 10 years.

11. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    As I understand it 'Jrap' is the owner? If so, no worries, he was 'tweaking' the fora early this AM (UTC - 6)

Best regards
    HP:)

12. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Maybe, maybe not. I really would like to see a clear statement of what is going on here, especially regarding this Eetech company that seems to be running the business now.

absf and tjohnson like this.
  13. JWHassler

Sep 25, 2013
    T o o

m u c h

w h i t e s p a c e

i n

n e w f o r m a t

Sinus23, SgtWookie, absf and 2 others like this.
  14. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    The same as most political agendas are when their rule sets and how they are interpreted used or abused come under noticable question.

Make a new more obvious, yet for the most part pointless distractions, someplace else and hope that the general public takes the bait long enough to forget about the real problem.

That's my theory any way. :D

15. pwdixon

Oct 11, 2012
    I know change is always hard to take but this new format is much harder to read, that usually means I leave or so it seems from other forums that I've got fed-up with.

16. pwdixon

Oct 11, 2012
    I'm not a noob but how do you get rid of this new format?

17. pwdixon

Oct 11, 2012
    ok I found it.

18. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Can we vote more than once?

19. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    I voted I don't know. The old style is more appealing because of the zero learning curve and color scheme. The new style appears better on phones .. except the orange color of course.

20. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    A poll of members used to the old format will inevitably show the new format is hated. That's just human. Even positive changes will initially not be appreciated because...they are changes.

How the site appears to new visitors is a different question. Personally, I found it hard to get past the glaring changes and put myself in the shoes of a new visitor. I didn't even try it long enough to see if there were any positive changes. The obvious negatives - too little content on screen - were too much for me.

Frankly, the orange color is not the issue, as glaring as it seems. It's glaring but I think I would quickly get over that, to the point where it would feel "familiar" once again. It's the feeling of being lost that I didn't like. It felt harder to see where I was.