Poll: Favorite programming language

What is your favorite programming language for working with electronics?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I thought it would be interesting to see what programming languages are most popular for working with electronics among members of this forum.

The choices are the top 9 programming languages on TIOBE, and Other. If you select Other, please also post what it is.

EDIT: I voted for mine: Python.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I use whatever meets a moving target of criteria ranging from what I'm familiar with, what I have access to, what lends itself to a particular task (I would not, for instance, use Python to write code for an FPGA nor would I use Verilog to write code to manipulate files in a directory), what codebase is already available, and what the customer requires and/or will accept.

I also don't participate in self-selective polls which are fundamentally meaningless.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And having skill with a broad set of tools is what puts you in a position to pick the best -- or at least a good -- tool for the job. If the only tool you know how to use is a hammer, then everything looks suspiciously like a nail.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
While only allowed to pick one, for electronics I picked C. But I agree with WBahn. The best tool for the job. I used FreeBASIC to control a serial servo controller. I've programmed in JavaScript, PERL, Windows shell, and many others, so although I answered I believe the poll is flawed.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I chose "C" for its efficiency, portability and universal application. Mostly, I try to use simple scripting methods if they are available and I've really enjoyed using languages which have direct interfaces to other tools, eg VBA. When I was in ASIC engineering, everyone was ga-ga over Perl. Never really understood why. I could almost always do things easier using good ol' sed and awk. Nowadays, I'm doing more Linux administration stuff ( on my own, not for any job ) and converting my old Unix csh programming methods over to bsh. I find bsh syntax quite confusing and just plain weird sometimes.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I use whatever meets a moving target of criteria ranging from what I'm familiar with, what I have access to, what lends itself to a particular task (I would not, for instance, use Python to write code for an FPGA nor would I use Verilog to write code to manipulate files in a directory), what codebase is already available, and what the customer requires and/or will accept.
I read the question as, literally, "Which is your favorite programming language?", as opposed to, "In which programming language do you do all your work?"

I am proficient in many languages, and I enjoy programming (and it is only one of many different hats I wear). I most enjoy programming .asm because it allows me to be really, really clever -- I like being clever.

I've never attempted, though, to write an actual PC application in .asm. That would be stupid.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I read the question as, literally, "Which is your favorite programming language?", as opposed to, "In which programming language do you do all your work?"

I am proficient in many languages, and I enjoy programming (and it is only one of many different hats I wear). I most enjoy programming .asm because it allows me to be really, really clever -- I like being clever.

I've never attempted, though, to write an actual PC application in .asm. That would be stupid.
I don't think you can reasonably separate "favorite" from what it is being used for. Python might be my favorite for this set of tasks but my least favorite for this other set. Same with about half a dozen or more languages.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I don't think you can reasonably separate "favorite" from what it is being used for. Python might be my favorite for this set of tasks but my least favorite for this other set. Same with about half a dozen or more languages.
I'd disagree, I may prefer C++ over standard C, but a given situation may preclude its use.

The situation only changes the approach, not a programmer's preference.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'd disagree, I may prefer C++ over standard C, but a given situation may preclude its use.

The situation only changes the approach, not a programmer's preference.
I guess we would have to agree to disagree. There are many tasks for which I could choose the same set of languages and for one task I would prefer to use one language and for another task I would prefer to use another language.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Let me put it this way: All else being equal, if I had a choice of projects where one is best coded in C, and the other is best coded in .asm, I'd choose the second. Not because I am better at .asm than C, but because, to me, .asm is more fun (i.e. it is my "favorite language").

And, "favorite" is subjective. Let us not argue about such things (lest I inform you that your choice of wine with that particular filet mignon is incorrect).