Political discussion on the fora

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
This is to request that you please reconsider the lenient stance taken toward discussion of contentious political issues on these fora! -- Those seeking 'freedom of [political] expression' have boundless recourse to said end elsewhere! --- I know that I speak for many when I say we didn't join these fora to bicker over politics - we've quite enough of that in other aspects of our lives! -- The appeal of a community such as this owes to connection with others sharing a common interest - even passion (To wit: electrical engineering and closely related topics) -- this does not include politics/contentious current affairs!
HP You know I had doubts at first but now I totally agree cuz AAC isn't the place for that! Like you say ppl forget 1'st amendment and those provisions of Atlantic charter aren't talking abt private organizations:rolleyes:! First amendment isn't a right to free speech it's prohibition against congress passing laws that suppress it! There's a big difference cuz otherwise freedom of association would be meaningless (which it really is now but that's not point:()

When I 'Moded' for GLP (back in the 'Belisha Era') I learned that political discussion on web-fora is rather like agitating a vial of glyceryl trinitrate -- While one may 'get away with it' for awhile -- during which all is calm, ordered and seemingly under control - inevitably comes that juncture, wherein, without warning, all is irretrievably lost in the proverbial 'blink of an eye'!
HP I say explosion isn't the apt analogy for when it all goes to $#!t:rolleyes: It's more like a runaway reactor cuz trouble starts unexceptionally and stealthily gets totally out of control so by the time ppl understand what's happening it's too late! Heh! I say maybe like site referees are called _moderators_ for a reason:D!

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Re: The 'EHT PSU' thread -- While there's certainly a great deal of off topic discussion, I am aware of very little in the way of politics:confused: In point of fact I take care to 'nip' incipient political discussion in the 'bud' -- If I've missed something please tell me about it
Again I appreciate all you do here. I guess in my pea brain I see discusion by the trinity(HP, Aleph, JC) talking about things and people other than members here as "political" as I said, "in your realm". Politics behind the scenes of your other world outside of AAC. Sorry and apologize if I'm wrong.

As I also said in another post, I can't imagine doing the back and forth on a public forum, in this age of cell phones and Email. But it's not my call.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I see discusion by the trinity(HP, Aleph, JC) talking about things and people other than members here as "political"
Shortbus I'm sry cuz it can be boring for other members but it's not political:confused:

As I also said in another post, I can't imagine doing the back and forth on a public forum, in this age of cell phones and Email. But it's not my call.
Shortbus I don't have problem with OT on thread cuz it's relaxed environment for creative atmosphere and anyhow we don't get into controversy so is all friendly:)!

So now HP's bitching at me for _larking_ but I say she wanted thread in OT so now she gets to sleep in bed she made:mad:! Anyhow HP can't get it into her head that there's only so much I can do cuz I don't have edit access to her posts! It's not my fault that deadlines are missed when she forgets to email raw data and won't respond to any of my calls or messages and posts about it! She says she wants collaborative effort but I say she just wants scapegoat to blame for her _foot dragging_ so now she says she's had enough of me so fine:rolleyes:!

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
So now HP's bitching at me for _larking_ but I say she wanted thread in OT so now she gets to sleep in bed she made:mad:! Anyhow HP can't get it into her head that there's only so much I can do cuz I don't have edit access to her posts! It's not my fault that deadlines are missed when she forgets to email raw data and won't respond to any of my calls or messages and posts about it! She says she wants collaborative effort but I say she just wants scapegoat to blame for her _foot dragging_ so now she says she's had enough of me so fine:rolleyes:!
Aleph! Inasmuch as you insist upon a public airing of your 'little cry' might I request that you confine same to the 'EHT' thread?!:rolleyes:

I guess in my pea brain I see discusion by the trinity(HP, Aleph, JC) talking about things and people other than members here as "political" as I said, "in your realm". Politics behind the scenes of your other world outside of AAC. Sorry and apologize if I'm wrong.
Hey @shortbus - thanks for your reply:) -- It's difficult to determine sans verbal cues (CIP tone of voice, phonetic inflection, etc...) howbeit the wording of your reply (quoted above) suggests you might have found my response condescending?:( -- I promise you such was not the case!:) --- It's merely that my use of the word 'politics' was/is in the, perhaps, 'narrow' sense of divisive off-topic discussion likely to result in 'polarization', 'hard feeling', etc... Although, as Aleph points out, certain exchanges on 'our' thread may be of no interest --even 'irksomely' irrelevant-- to the greater community, they would seem innocuous enough?

Again, while I will neither defend, nor, frankly, comprehend the "rising generations' " seeming insistence upon maintenance of minute, running 'public autobiography', I recognize the requirement of 'compromise' on my part is a 'meeting of the minds' productive of positive collaboration to result -- Hence my requested placement of the thread on the OT forum --- You have my word that undue off-topic discussion on any "on topic" fora to which our work is posted will not be tolerated! -- As 'TS' of said threads I will request removal of such content should it occur!:)

Very best regards
HP:)