Political discussion on the fora

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Respectfully, to whom it may concern:

This is to request that you please reconsider the lenient stance taken toward discussion of contentious political issues on these fora! -- Those seeking 'freedom of [political] expression' have boundless recourse to said end elsewhere! --- I know that I speak for many when I say we didn't join these fora to bicker over politics - we've quite enough of that in other aspects of our lives! -- The appeal of a community such as this owes to connection with others sharing a common interest - even passion (To wit: electrical engineering and closely related topics) -- this does not include politics/contentious current affairs!

While I firmly believe the 'new lenience' (Re: 'politics') was well intended, I likewise feel the burgeoning level of polarization seen here to be ample indication of the inadvisability of same! -- Please note that I say this as one having, against my better judgment, participated in the 'fray' on several occasions myself:oops:

Please understand! I'm not calling for a policy change -- merely return to strict enforcement of the TOS/UA in this regard--- Thank you!

Most sincerely
HP:)

Last edited:

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I know that I speak for many when I say we didn't join these fora to bicker over politics - we've quite enough of that in other aspects of our lives!
I have several web sites I go to for political discussion, but my preference would be for AAC to be a place where I can get a break from such stuff. But if that's not to be, it's not to be. I can make do by simply ignoring the political threads as much as possible.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
So we can't discuss the science of something that has been politicized? Let's say it is yesterday. and we have a user that goes by Galileo, would you ask the forum to limit the discussion? Because of the strong bickering?

Really? If you limit discussion because of bickering, this wouldn't be a useful site. We lost the art and standard of debate years ago. Bickering is now the standard.

Threads are like tv channels. If you don't like what's on....change the channel. You may remove the channel from YOUR tv line up. But don't remove that channel on my tv.

I usually don't read your posts HP.....because I can't decipher your use of words.

And if I have mis-understood this one, forgive me.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
So we can't discuss the science of something that has been politicized?
Sure we can if the subject relates to electronics - For instance 'net neutrality' and the politics of frequency allocation might 'squeak under the door', as it were:)

Really? If you limit discussion because of bickering, this wouldn't be a useful site.
:confused::confused::confused: On topic disagreement is hardly equivalent to rancorous debate...

Threads are like tv channels. If you don't like what's on....change the channel.
And I submit that fora are like 'TV channels' and I'm seeing 'Election Coverage', 'Climate Change' and "Insert the contentious OT of your choice" on the 'Electronics Channel'!:rolleyes:

Please note that political discussion is expressly prohibited - even on the OT forum:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/please-read-posting-in-the-off-topic-forum.5036/

The following are a list of what is not permitted in this forum:

- No Spamming or Advertising
- No Abusing or Insulting Members
- No Adult, Vulgar, Offensive, or other Contentious Content
- No Politics
- No HHO, overunity, or Meyer
Pursuant to your analogy - why don't you 'change the channel' when you do not wish to discuss
electronics?:confused:

I usually don't read your posts HP.....because I can't decipher your use of words.
I apologize for my lack of clarity:oops:

Best regards

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
HP, don't take this wrong, please. I'm a big fan/follower of yours. But aren't you calling the kettle black? Hasn't the thread on EHT devolved into a form of politics, with the back and forth of you, Aleph, and JC, and what is happening in your "realm"?

Myself I'm surprised by the mostly civil tone of the normally uncivil discussion of politics on the site. Even the answers of electronics questions, that should not be political, if you look at the answers end up being 'political' as one member supports his/her way of doing things vs another members way. Politics is more than just party vs party.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
HP, don't take this wrong, please. I'm a big fan/follower of yours. But aren't you calling the kettle black? Hasn't the thread on EHT devolved into a form of politics, with the back and forth of you, Aleph, and JC, and what is happening in your "realm"?
Re: The 'EHT PSU' thread -- While there's certainly a great deal of off topic discussion, I am aware of very little in the way of politics:confused: In point of fact I take care to 'nip' incipient political discussion in the 'bud' -- If I've missed something please tell me about it!:eek::)

Reflecting upon it - I see where we (especially I) have made several 'dissenting' comments regarding:

-The current sorry state of 'western' education.
-What I see as alarmist policies Re: certain 'hazardous substances' (e.g. PCBs, halogenated hydrocarbons in general and certain heavy metals).

-Society's hysteria in regards to ionizing radiation.
-Generally, the 'baby-proofing' of the world.

Inasmuch as said sentiments apply to government, and, indeed, society/human nature in general -- without regard to political philosophy/affiliation I don't regard them as 'political' in the 'troublesome' sense of the word?:confused:

Believe me! - We've (i.e. Aleph, JC and myself) enough on our hands convincing readers to have still another look at a subject rife with misinformation owed well over a decade's appallingly qualitative --positively inept-- treatment, sans risk of aversely polarizing our jaded 'prospects' via political commentary! -- It's enough that our readers recognize our tutorials as a serious resource - such is hardly augmented via proselytizing!:) -- Hence I implore you to advise me of anything I've overlooked!:eek:

I'm a big fan/follower of yours.
Thank you!:) -- Please know that your 'patronage' and feedback are always greatly appreciated:)!

Myself I'm surprised by the mostly civil tone of the normally uncivil discussion of politics on the site.
When I 'Moded' for GLP (back in the 'Belisha Era') I learned that political discussion on web-fora is rather like agitating a vial of glyceryl trinitrate -- While one may 'get away with it' for awhile -- during which all is calm, ordered and seemingly under control - inevitably comes that juncture, wherein, without warning, all is irretrievably lost in the proverbial 'blink of an eye'! -- In the years since I've seen said pattern replete itself without fail on several occasions -- and always preceded by the 'famous last words' adequately paraphrased thus: "we're sufficiently mature to handle this here..."

Politics is more than just party vs party.
To be clear my use of the word 'politics' and inflections thereof is with reference to issues which might reasonably be expected to bear upon one's (fundamental) values and sense of 'morality' -- hence matters of personal liberty, equal protection under the law, delineation of rights vs. privileges, religion, political ideology/party/politicians, etc, etc, etc... would (IMO) in most cases come under the heading of 'politics' -- Whereas 'Colpitts vs Hartley' or, indeed, 'PIC vs. (gulp) Arduino':eek: not so much!:)

In the course of my four decades in this 'vale of tears' I have never known a political dispute change anyone's mind! -- Disagreements as to correct scientific/electronic 'technique', on the other hand, often result in someone gaining knowledge - as is generally the way with readily demonstrable fact as opposed to opinion!:)

With utmost respect

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I go to ask.
Did you by any chance write the dialogue for character "Dr. Sheldon" in "Big Bang Theory" TV show
When he talks, I think of you. :D
Sorry to disappoint but 'fraid not:( -- Though, on the subject of 'personalities', perhaps my loquacious (some would say prolix:oops:) manner on these fora is by way of compensation for the taciturn nature of my avatar's subject (To whom I'm forever being 'likened':rolleyes:):confused::D

TTFN