Policy clarification, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
With reference to the "Restricted Topics" provision of this site's TOS:

Does the prohibition against discussion of modification/service of highway vehicles tacitly extend to all 'power-driven' vehicles (e.g. Aircraft [Spec avionics], Watercraft, ATVs/snow-machines, [agricultural] tractors, etc...)?

PLEASE -- Do not misinterpret the intent or tone of this post! This is a genuine question -- not an argument!:)

Best regards
HP

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I see that this thread has been relocated from the OT forum --- While I have no problem with that 'on the face of it', I hope, however, that same is not indicative of any misapprehension regarding my post --- It was and is not my intent to 'petition' for a rule change --- but, rather, to clarify the rule in question! :)

Most sincerely
HP

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I too have question where the line is drawn on this as well. I often times see threads locked down for no other reason than a person mentioning that what ever they are building is going to be used near any sort of vehicle or it will use a part from a former vehicle.

For instance I have seen threads relating to a person repurposing some type of USB power adapter that normally plugged into a vehicles power port get locked. To me the device is not a vehicle modification in anyway being it uses the vehicles stock power port and is a plug and play device.

Now as for the site liability claim that's to me a rather lame excuse being countless other web sites forums and whatever else on the internet have loads of information about modifying or creating anything imaginable and they obviously have no issues with potential liability if some idiot does something wrong with the information they found on those web sites.

Pyrotechnics forums for one have loads of info and help on how to make some pretty serious explosives out of common easy to get materials and chemicals and they obviously have no liability concerns. Same with the off road and other automotive and such forums where people discuss their ways o f modifying their vehicles in any way imaginable.

That's my rant on the subject. :eek:

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

For the clearification I would like to add this to this thread:
Anything that rides or floats with a motor (auto or motorbike) , on or off-road would be subject of moderation.
Stationary things like a generator can be discussed.

Automotive threads will be pointed to this thread:
Member selected automotive forums

We are an educational website and want to emphasize on the educational character.

Bertus

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hello,

For the clearification I would like to add this to this thread:
Anything that rides or floats with a motor (auto or motorbike) , on or off-road would be subject of moderation.
Stationary things like a generator can be discussed.

Automotive threads will be pointed to this thread:
Member selected automotive forums

We are an educational website and want to emphasize on the educational character.

Bertus
Fair enough --- I will assume the prohibition includes (manned) aircraft unless advised otherwise...

Many thanks for your reply!:)
HP

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
6 months ago I assisted a Canadian engineer, through the forum, to design a resistor load bank used to test batteries in electric vehicles. Should the moderators have closed this thread, or is test equipment for vehicles acceptable?

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
6 months ago I assisted a Canadian engineer, through the forum, to design a resistor load bank used to test batteries in electric vehicles. Should the moderators have closed this thread, or is test equipment for vehicles acceptable?
Testing batteries surely?

Too many questions being asked at the moment that challenge the TOS just for the sake of it if you ask me.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Paul, I am challenging nothing. I want to be a responsible member of this forum and respect its limitations.
Indeed! -- Nothing is being challenged here!

Inasmuch as the restrictions regarding discussion of highway vehicles appears 'rooted' in all of the following (order insignificant);

1) Liability
2) 'Trafcon' compliance/regulatory concerns
3) Desired maintenance of a pedagogical (as opposed to 'shop'/'buff') tone on the fora

It seemed reasonable to assume all fuel or electrically powered and 'heavily regulated' conveyances would likely come under similar scrutiny -- hence my request for clarification...

As a benefactor I see no ingratitude in endeavoring to ascertain my host's 'house rules'!:)

Best regards
HP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.