POLEpig

na5m

Joined Jul 19, 2012
Conductor #1 and #2 and #3 are easy to see on my power pole, but I do not see Conductor #4 anywhere.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Then there is the possibility you do not have 3 phase running down your road, I know that I don't. In that case you would have 2 phases and a neutral.
In your photo in post #11 you show 5 conductors, and in #23 there are 3.You are showing 2 different photos and want one answer to fit both situations.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Then there is the possibility you do not have 3 phase running down your road, I know that I don't. In that case you would have 2 phases and a neutral.
In your photo in post #11 you show 5 conductors, and in #23 there are 3.You are showing 2 different photos and want one answer to fit both situations.
First of all, posts #11 and #23 are yours, and second of all, they are the exact same! I don't see where your problem is. Things are fairly well explained in the diagrams, and what isn't has been explained by the members here.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Look at the diagram I've attached.

All RED is HOT. There are two 120v HOT lines coming into each house. They are out of phase with each other. All GREEN is GND/Neutral. There is no "neutral" on the high voltage side. "Neutral" is the center tap on the transformer (0 volts), which is also connected to ground. Each side of the transformer secondary gives you 120 volts to the center tap (neutral), but since they're out of phase, you get 240 volts between the two 120v sides. The BLUE conductors are the three phases from the power company, as the label says. Just look at how things are connected. All the red is on the residential side of the transformer (the dotted line is somewhat lower than it should be--it should go right through the middle of the transformers). Does this make sense?

Attachments

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
So the question is: Are all electric power poles and transformers wired the same way?

Answer: No.

Any other questions?
No, they're not all wired the same way, but the theory behind the wiring is universal. The diagram shows the general setup, and most real-world ones you'll find are closely related to the one I posted.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A simple disagreement is not, "Trolling", especially when followed by a well reasoned argument. The lack of any reasoning can be mistaken for trolling.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Derstrom, your NOT who I meant, your one of the good guys.:) Maybe I have the wrong idea of what a troll is. :( Always thought it was someone that refused any help no matter how many told them the same thing?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Derstrom, your NOT who I meant, your one of the good guys.:) Maybe I have the wrong idea of what a troll is. :( Always thought it was someone that refused any help no matter how many told them the same thing?
Thanks shortbus :p There are a lot of definitions for trolls that I have run across. People who refuse help, argue for no reason, or pick just for the sake of picking are all forms of trolls. There are even more out there too. Some definitions:

An e-mail message or posting on the Internet intended to provoke an indignant response in the reader
Deliberately posting false information in order to elicit responses from people who really want to help.
Deliberately and disingenuously posting
Inviting another person to state a general opinion or preference and then responding as if the opinion was offensive or a personal attack or affront. This is a way of setting up a Projective Identification.

na5m

Joined Jul 19, 2012
I'm not a troll, and believe me, I'm feeling very stupid right now.
And you're right, I shouldn't have introduced conflicting photos.
I've even went so far as to study GIMP to give you a better
image of what I am imagining what the electrons are doing
on the primary side of the transformer.

Anyway, the secondary side is easy to picture in one's mind (see gif1).
It's the primary side (which we can all agree is simply a coil/choke) that
is not empirically clear. One end (the red end, see gif2) connects to a single (one of three available) arbitrary
HV phase from the power company. The other end (the blue end) is running
down the pole and into terra firma. The blue end does NOT seem to be
going into any kind of primary "neutral" at all. It just disappears into the
alley way pavement. Maybe the power company simply laid the neutral
wire under ground.
x
x
x

Last edited: