polarized vs non-polarized caps

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by noingwhat, Sep 19, 2010.

1. noingwhat

Thread Starter Member

Jul 23, 2010
    I am building a RC filter, and the capacitor I need I can wire it in two ways.

I can either use 4 polarized caps wired in series and parallel to add up to what I need,
    I can use a single non-polarized cap.

I know that if I wire up the polar-caps, it won't be quite as high of fidelity, but I am using a 50 year old amp, so I am not terribly concerned with fidelity.

The non-polar-caps are twice as expensive though, so I am not sure which one to go with. How much will I hear the difference if I had used the non-polar vs polar?
  2. windoze killa

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 23, 2006
    If you have to use 4 polarised caps or 1 non-polarised cap and the non-polarised caps are twice the price thats still half the cost.

Personally I would toss a coin but would probably end up going with the non-polarised caps.
  3. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    There can't be that much difference in price, of course that depends on where you're buying them.

What value and voltage? I'll look around for you.

True non-polarized electrolytics are far preferred, when you use the old trick of putting them back to back they start degrading fairly quickly and, depending on how often/loudly they're used, may only last a year or so until they start to sound bad.
  4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Just remember that most "polarized caps " are componts that age faster/more than other components. Do not buy something what have been stored for some.
    You have 50 year old amp you say, have you open it and inspected the componts. If it have some electrolytic capacitors, the have probably dried out by now