Pokémon Go Linked to CIA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nsaspook, Jul 12, 2016.

1. nsaspook

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Silly:
    http://www.infowars.com/pokemon-go-linked-to-cia/
    Real:
    http://www.wftv.com/news/trending-now/police-robbers-used-pokemon-go-to-lure-victims/396504188

killivolt likes this.
  2. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    BTW, I like the new avatar. Can't wait to see the movie.

kv

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Just spent the evening in the park with my grandson while his parents - and hundreds of other pasty nerds - collected Pokemon. I've never seen so many people in the park! I estimate 19 in 20 people there were playing or with a player. Only a handful of regular folks were there, the normal level for a weeknight. Wall to wall nerds.

4. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    That's a good thing, just stay away from those hungry bears.

5. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    I've been tasked for a "Pokemon Go" hunt tomorrow with my two girls and so ...
    [​IMG]

wayneh likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I think you do nerds an injustice.

7. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
  8. Brian Griffin

May 17, 2013
    My coworkers were asking each other "Where's Pikachu?" earlier. The game only works within the united states, so I just laughed it off.

9. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    Pokemon Go is a fantastic game for what it is but I think it is dangerous. Why?

It is important to create a wall between the fantasy and real world. It's OK to play violent games on an Xbox such as Call of duty because there is no real increase in violent behavior (those who go killing where already messed up. Also think about the graphics on those consoles, they are obviously NOT real life). It is OK to dive deep into a fantasy game on the PC like Skyrim (I am a personal fan, slaying dragons, killing the undead, making weapons etc et).

What is not OK is when you start to create augmented reality (or as I like to think of it as twisted reality). By changing how real life looks and appears is dangerous because you begin to take away what is actually real. I like to walk through a park with no headphones and a smart phone....in my pocket. I like to see trees, hear birds and smell the air. When you start to spend all your time looking into a screen you begin to become detached from life. Pokemon is a good game, when its on a console at home.

Its not Pokemon that is at fault, its any augmented reality game that tries to enter your life wherever it can. When you start to augment reality you begin to feel less rewarded for things that actually matter in real life. For example, I could use an augmented reality system to go to work and pretend I am walking through a jungle. I find secret treasures and fight monsters to get to the end (where you work). When you work your reward may be friends, money, perks or the experience.

Here is a question for my generation:

Q) What is more rewarding
    1. Enter a world of mythical fantasy where you are a lone knight fighting for justice and freedom. You are also the last of the dragon born who can muster the will and very soul of the fire breathing demons that lurk in the deep dark corners of this world. Using your sword and shield you must fight your way to glory and victory
    2. Work in an office where you will advance your career and earn a higher wage

Thank goodness I only play games every so often (once every few days)

10. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Will the game's owner be responsible for those mindlessly walking into the street and getting killed because they were "playing in traffic" or does the user agreement resolve the owner of all responsibility.

I'm assuming the Pokeman's are images on your phone and are placed there when your GPS tells the game your near one. That relies on GPS navigation and the GPS with cell phones position is within a 90 feet radius maximum. Here little johnny, go play pokeman GO ... and stay out of the street.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Sure. Right after self driving cars start paying their own traffic tickets.:D

JoeJester likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
  13. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
  14. Sinus23

Sep 7, 2013
    Apparently there is a way around that...Not that I know or anything;)

But yeah I've not played it myself.

15. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

In holland they even made a pokomon hunters warning sign.

Pokomon_hunters_warning_small.jpeg

They expext problems between the pokomon hunters and the walkers of the "nijmeegse vierdaagse"

Bertus

16. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    The zombie army.

17. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I wonder how long until someone puts that army to work for nefarious purposes.

18. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    GopherT likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    So...now I know what a, "Social Justice Warrior" is.
    I'm just happy they are newly minted so I didn't have to suffer that kind of bologna in my first 65 years.:D

20. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009