Pointers needed

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dragonfly_sg, May 30, 2012.

1. dragonfly_sg

Thread Starter New Member

May 1, 2012
    Hi, I am back again :)

I would like to do 2 things this time and hope the experts here can give me some pointers, so I know where to start searching (reading) and looking for info.

Firstly I would like to build an hydroponic system using solar. I already know how to hook up a solar panel to charge batteries and I am using the batteries to power a small fountain pump, something maybe 6V or 9V just enough to draw water up (maybe 1 foot). The question I have is I want some kind of timer to allow electricity to reach the pump for 3mins every 1hours or 45mins ( the timing is flexible, something around this ratio will do). What can I use to monitor the timing and also switch on and off the power to the pump?

Next I would like to build a battery portable CCTV or pin hole video camera. I want to be able to put the CCTV, batteries and whatever component I need into a waterproof jam jar or glass container and then sink the setup into the sea. I will build in some LEDs into it and want to store the footage into a SD card. I basically want to see whats below in the water when I am fishing from struture and kelongs. I know there are cameras like the goPro but I want something on a budget so that if it gets jammed under the Jetty or Pier, I wouldn't feel the urge to dive in after it :D. What are the component out there that I can use and easily available? I can get hold of small cameras and batteries. What else would I need ? Can you give the names of the component so that I can go look for them.?

From an electronic dummy with big dreams. :D

Nov 30, 2010
    You should make 2 threads. It is uncomfortable to intentionally provide a partial answer, and there is much to be explored in these ideas. This, as a single thread, with all the partial answers about different subjects getting confused with which idea is being addressed.