Pocket Guitar Amp Speaker

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Zaper, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Zaper

Thread Starter Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I recently built the attached circuit for a pocket sized guitar amplifier. I used this:
    http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SK-408/MINIATURE-FULL-RANGE-SPEAKER/1.html
    for the speaker. It works very well for single notes, but when you get more than 2 or 3 it sounds awful.

I am wondering if anyone could either recommend a better (but still small) full range speaker, or if anyone knows if it's possible to break this into two speakers (a high and a low).

Thanks for any help.

P.S. It doesn't seem to have made any difference to how the project works, but I did not include the charger circuit that is on the schematic in the build.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The only way a small speaker is, "full range" is when the power level is so low that the cone displacement is relatively small at low frequencies. This is why headphones work well. Another way to say it is, the only way to get good response at a wide band of frequencies with a small speaker is to wear it on your head.

You can find some high quality small speakers that work well, up to a point, but the physics of coupling movement to air is working against you. Take your pocket amp to a store and try it on several small speakers. Your ears will tell you when you have the best available.

3. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Wow, a pocket size guitar Amp. That's a terrific idea. But with the small 9V battery, 386 and mini speaker, I doubt it would live up to my standard of what I think a guitar amp should be.

I am gonna build my own version of pocket size guitar amp when I have more time with something more exotic like LA4760 which I have a piece left over last time repairing a keyboard organ. [edit]should be LA4705NA

Allen

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    JohnInTX likes this.