1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    I am trying to understand how the Phone network device is rigged upFrom the phone company side of the device and not from the customer side.Is their anyway I can take of the cover off this gray device box with home tools?I have taken out the customer side cover and it looks pretty understandable.But I now want to see the other side.....................................

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    They use those odd fasteners because they don't want customers poking around where it would take a technician a good bit of time to fix stuff after you break it, possibly including having to run new phone cable from the nearest "box", which could be a ways away.

There's really nothing in there to look at besides a big bunch of color-coded wires, anyway.

3. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Ok, but I am trying to understand how the connections are made from the
    customer side to the phone company side?

Also the gray box has one big black wire running into the phone company side from the outside of the house.

What does this big black wire hold in it. Is it just the 8 strained wires.
    Like blue/white , white/blue , ....etc etc or is their more in it?

And how do they make the connections from the phone company side to the customer side.

Because I am think about installing a new line on the customer side. And I just wanted to know how the customer side ties into the phone company side.

And I also wanted to know if you could use a digital multimeter to check the phone lines for good connection. I guess I could just use a old phone in place of an expensive butt set.

Is their some set voltage I should read between green and red wires?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009