PN Junctions, Zener and Avalanche Breakdown

cbecket13

Joined Nov 15, 2014
I am experimenting with reverse biased Zener and Avalanche breakdown and noise generation. I also have just started testing a handful of junk box transistors as well as some new assortments.

I'm using a pretty simple setup;

Reverse biased Transistor pn junction test.JPG
I'm not using any amplification. It works fairly well on a breadboard. I've tested dozens, at least, of devices and separated and labelled the ones I find interesting. I find the onset of the breakdown noise and look for a sensitive "sweet spot" just past the knee.

I leave it running quite often over night with various pn devices and bias voltages. Then I run the results through Audacity software, check the spectrograms and the waveform and the frequency spectrum.

I have been noting in the waveform some extremely high (relatively) fast spikes, sometimes to clipping.

These spikes seem to be randomly occurring, clustered or isolated, day or night etc. They are definitely discreet, fast events caused by something. Could it be cosmic rays, muons, gamma radiation, etc. Or are they just some kind of artifact of the apparatus?

cbecket13

Joined Nov 15, 2014
Whatever you're using to monitor the breakdown noise should do; just taking its input from the +ve rail.
Here's two hours of the waveform for the effect rendered by Audacity software. The full file is 9 hours. shot_flicker_x_noise.jpg The small ripples in the main sections are the breakdown noise of the junction just barely past the knee. They look very "noise-like" when zoomed in but they are not amplified in hardware or software here.

But my question was about the tall spikes within the breakdown noise. It's highly intermittent, just a few, if any, per hour. Would that frequency of occurrence be compatible with shot noise or 1/f noise.

cbecket13

Joined Nov 15, 2014
Should I use the ground on the sound card with the ground on the power supply. I assume you mean run it through a capacitor so should my reference be the power supply ground, the sound card ground or both ? Same circuit as above, but with the transistor removed and that post grounded?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
g
But my question was about the tall spikes within the breakdown noise. It's highly intermittent, just a few, if any, per hour. Would that frequency of occurrence be compatible with shot noise or 1/f noise.
That can happen when an appliance, say a refrigerator, turns on or off.

cbecket13

Joined Nov 15, 2014
Here's what I came up with for a power supply monitoring circuit, again run into my sound card. I'm running it now and no spikes yet, but I'm going to run it for > 9 hrs.Power_Supply_Noise.png

cbecket13

Joined Nov 15, 2014
Yes.
Yes. Post #1 circuit with everything except C1 removed. Power +ve rail > C1 > sound card input.
Here's what I got from the capacitor only circuit. They seem to persist, though the rate seems reduced. I supposed that indicts the power supply or the mains.Capacitor_Only.jpg

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Yes, looks like interference on the power supply rail. Or it could be interference getting through from the PC to the sound card; or even a sound card fault.

cbecket13

Joined Nov 15, 2014
This use of the sound card for data acquisition is probably not ideal. Unfortunately, it remains the lowest cost option. Buying batteries for an application like this is a wallet buster. And I absolutely have to have at least +18V (+-9) or more variable down to 2V or so, or even lower. The power supply is nothing special. "Bog-standard" as they might say in the UK.
power_supply.jpg