plz tell me any MOSFET/IGBT FOR 440 AC V and 250 A

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by all4here, Jul 6, 2010.

1. all4here

Thread Starter Member

Jul 3, 2010
    tell me the any number of MOSFET/IGBT which can handle the

440 Volt AC

and

250 A load

2. timrobbins

Aug 29, 2009
    That's an awful lot of grunt. Do you have an application?

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I believe I'd opt for a TRIAC or solid state relay instead of a MOSFET or IBGT.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Is this new thread related to this: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=40203

Let's see, noob + switching mains power + questionable schematic (see Bertus' comment in the first thread) + don't know why = safety????

I think the place to begin is for the OP to explain what he is trying to do. Then the members here will be able to respond more enlightened.

John

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Agreed - we can't offer help or advice without knowing a lot more about the project/application. This does not sound like a beginner level project.

6. tom66

May 9, 2009
    You'd be more looking at solid state relays or TRIACs in AC territory especially with those current and voltage levels. Any power MOSFET you find will not block AC due to the intrinsic body diode (It will short it out. And this will be spectacular if you don't take proper safety precautions.) IGBTs will also struggle. Still, that's a lot of power to go messing around with, if you make a mistake you can say bye-bye to your SSR or TRIAC... or worse, you could hurt yourself.

7. all4here

Thread Starter Member

Jul 3, 2010

i am trying to make the Reverse Forward circuit for thr heavy motors.

whose normal load is 70 A

and torque load is 185 A.

i want to change the maganet contector (stater) with the IGBT or MOSFET.

8. timrobbins

Aug 29, 2009
    I think you need to put that application into the hands of an electrical engineer, or ask an electrician to install a commercial device.

Ciao, Tim

9. tom66

May 9, 2009
  10. Gated

Jul 7, 2010
    the cm300ha-12h IGBT is far more then sufficient for this application, however one thing ive noticed when using this beast, it is very thirsty for gate charge.

make sure this IGBT is very well heatsunk, and cooled properly.