Pluto bound...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I can't wait to see the results of this 10-year old mission:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ho...whale-shaped-features-pluto/story?id=32299500

And to think that they lost communications with the craft for about an hour a few days ago! The engineers must've been pulling their hair off and devouring their own nails trying to figure out what happened!
I read it went into safe mode when the main computer was overloaded compressing data and running command sequence calculations, had a deadlock that caused the watchdog to put the bird into save mode to recover. I'm sure they have the 'battle short' switch on for the flyby mission.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I read it when into safe mode when the main computer was overloaded compressing data and running commands sequence calculations, had a deadlock that caused the watchdog to put the bird into save mode to recover. I'm sure they have the 'battle short' switch on for the flyby mission.
And my respects to the team that wrote the firmware... which was responsible for rebooting the thing if something unexpected (like this) ever happened. Visualizing all possible scenarios is an enormous challenge.