Plumbing Project Gone Awry

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I'm quoting prices from a real plumber in Florida where the ground is made of sand. (Very easy to dig.) I said, "$20 per foot". I don't know where you got $125 per foot. Maybe that's about cutting out the concrete?

Rent a gasoline powered concrete saw.
No sorry. I was quoting the cost of the liner option. This figure was given in the link from post # 15.

Funny, I own a saw like the one pictured in your post. I used it to build a utility room addition off to the side of my brick home. Also to open a crawl space in one of my rentals.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I'm quoting prices from a real plumber in Florida where the ground is made of sand. (Very easy to dig.) I said, "$20 per foot". I don't know where you got $125 per foot. Maybe that's about cutting out the concrete?

Rent a gasoline powered concrete saw.
I think he was talking about the cure-in-place pipe liner. $125/ft seems about right and I think they have an 8-foot minimum.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Had to get our septic tank pumped out a few days ago. Seems that when I had a concrete slab poured in the front yard several years ago, I inadvertently covered half the tank. The pumper operator was able to get one of the 3 covers off and pump it out, but the one that covered the inlet and baffle was mostly under the slab. The baffle usually gets clogged up when the tank gets full, as was mine.
The operator said we'd have to cut the corner off the slab so he could clean the baffle. I really didn't want to do that. I got a 2 3/4" carbide tipped hole saw and bored a hole through the lid as close to the baffle as I could. I was then able to clean it out with a stick and a garden hose. All very low tech, but it worked....

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have some of that high-tech / low tech stuff to do this week. Go to Midas Mufflers and pay $380 for a new pipe from the engine to the other end or find long-haired Bob to melt a coat hanger into the broken joint so it will last a few weeks until I sell the car. :(

Oh well. It could be so much worse.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I won't. People who start the bidding at zero aren't going to hire me, no matter how much effort I spend making a quote. It's just wasted time quoting jobs that are never going to get done.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I've bid a few jobs both for corporations and individuals, having been out of work for much of last year ( and presently ) I haven't won any. I'm just not willing to sell my valuable time to anyone who doesn't want to pay.

NMSquirrel

Joined Jan 11, 2015
I am retired Contractor, and have done plumbing, there is a quick easy fix...

Its called a Bladder, it attaches to the end of a hose, then you shove it down your drain and turn the hose on, hopefully you have good enough pressure to blow the obstruction out.. they come in a few sizes..
lowes/home depot, cheap.. they are miracle devices..

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I fed my garbage disposer too much broccoli a few days ago...in a double wide kitchen sink. Had to borrow a toilet kisser to break it loose. Would one of those pressure pulsers fit a garbage disposer inlet?

NMSquirrel

Joined Jan 11, 2015
I fed my garbage disposer too much broccoli a few days ago...in a double wide kitchen sink. Had to borrow a toilet kisser to break it loose. Would one of those pressure pulsers fit a garbage disposer inlet?
you would have to pull the p trap apart to get past the double drains, I suppose you could use a large one to put in the disposal, but unless you sealed the other sink up, it wouldn't do much good, as the pressure would just shoot out the other sink drain..

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Wrong answer, but enough information.
When I feed a disposer too much broccoli, it plugs up at its exit hole...before its pipe meets the other sink, and they meet before the trap. I don't need to disconnect anything to blow out the exit hole in the disposer. You said the right size Bladder will fit a garbage disposer opening. That's all I needed to know.

NMSquirrel

Joined Jan 11, 2015
Wrong answer, but enough information.
When I feed a disposer too much broccoli, it plugs up at its exit hole...before its pipe meets the other sink, and they meet before the trap. I don't need to disconnect anything to blow out the exit hole in the disposer. You said the right size Bladder will fit a garbage disposer opening. That's all I needed to know.
wrong answer? then you did not give me enough info..i assumed your disposer was working correctly, and that the plug was further down the line..i have never encountered a plug up at the exit pipe of a disposal, without seeing it, makes me think its not hooked up right..

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yep. The white pipes are the suspects.

(That black thing hanging down on the right is just the tail of a zip tie that is holding some 1/4 inch tubing for the ice maker out of the way.)

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Yep. The white pipes are the suspects.

(That black thing hanging down on the right is just the tail of a zip tie that is holding some 1/4 inch tubing for the ice maker out of the way.)
That install is exactly the way mine is in my house; there is some back flush and you need to be careful that it doesn't backfill into the dishwasher. Keeping the disposal clear will aid with that; as well as raising the drain tube up above the dishwashers top creating a anti syphon; if needed install an air gap. Most trailer are all designed that way; I'm not sure if it's just code now days?

Been out of the business to many years.

kv

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No worries. The dishwasher drain line goes high before it dumps into the disposer. I'm one of those strange people that reads the instructions when I install something I never did before. You can see that I made the DW dump out of any POS I found in the shed, but the physics of the job are correct.