Plumbers and union **** me off

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
RB, your comments remind me of a conversation I had a few weeks ago. It seems the medical industry + government forces everybody into "cadillac" service when a lot of people can't afford, or don't need anything fancier than "pinto" service. I can't afford insurance therefore I can't afford medical care. I should be able to go a little further down the road and find a cut-rate doctor who can fix me up for a reasonable price. But there isn't one, so I just go without a doctor at all.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
'Need' = profit, union or none. No doubt a number of unions have been fronts for other activities, but on the same token, unions have been largely responsible for workers rights. I've worked both sides of the fence and don't have a problem with unions.

Same here, worked for union and non-union.

Got paid better in union shops, even setting-up, repairing; the exact same machine tools.

I've also seen people take advantage of their union jobs.

Some worked less, and didn't have the "drive and desire" to better themselves. Some were happier coming to work, year after year; not wanting to advance. Just waiting for their retirement checks.....

Not for me, I wanted to be the best.;):cool:

Now, this electrical thang.........:D, that's a different matter.
And, most Union shops...I wasn't even allowed to change the fuses on machines. Had to call out the electricians.
I did get to do some electrical in non-union shops, however.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Same here, worked for union and non-union.

Got paid better in union shops, even setting-up, repairing; the exact same machine tools.

I've also seen people take advantage of their union jobs.

Some worked less, and didn't have the "drive and desire" to better themselves. Some were happier coming to work, year after year; not wanting to advance. Just waiting for their retirement checks.....

Not for me, I wanted to be the best.;):cool:

Now, this electrical thang.........:D, that's a different matter.
And, most Union shops...I wasn't even allowed to change the fuses on machines. Had to call out the electricians.
I did get to do some electrical in non-union shops, however.

One of my sons works as a maintenance tech for a small injection molding plant.One of the machine operators decided he must have a bad fuse since the machine wouldn't turn on. He tried to pull out a 30 amp 600v cartridge fuse without turning off the disconnect. He'll be ok, the reason the machine wouldn't start : the air line was shut off.
Moral of the story...not everyone needs to open a control box and touch "stuff"..

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
[/B]tried to pull out a 30 amp 600v cartridge fuse without turning off the disconnect. [...] Moral of the story...not everyone needs to open a control box and touch "stuff"..
I agree, and I see this as being the #1 reason that someone be refused advice on the internet for a DIY project. But can a similar plumbing story be found? AFAIK the only danger is to the value of your currently unflooded home, not your life. So I don't see anything noble in refusing to help someone with a plumbing question.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Yeah, the entire first 2 years of a plumbing degree is just learning the main formula; "Lefty loosey, righty tightey".

And only in the last 2 years do they cover advanced theory like "Turn off the mains tap before unscrewing pipe fittings". :D